Attempting to sort columns by rank?

roejogan

Hello, I have been trying to create a spreadsheet for the upcoming Gold Cup but I ran into an issue. So, I started by making a column of all the matches and creating spaces where one could enter scores. Next to these columns is a pretty similar group of columns but instead of entering scores, some if functions produce a number (points) given the score of each match. So for example, if I enter that Panama beats Haiti 2-0, in the next few columns over it will read Panama 3 , Haiti 0. (3 points for win, 0 for loss, 1 for draw.)

Then there is a table, a few columns over, that looks something like this:
teampointsgoal differncegoals scoredgoals against
usa
panama
haiti
honduras

<tbody>
</tbody>

The table sums up the points from the middle set of columns, and then goals from the first set of columns with the actual scores to fill the last three columns of this table. The issue is that when I test it I can't seem to sort teams by points and goal difference. They will remain in the same order. I've tried using a hidden column and vlookup to pull a rank and sort teams based on their standing, and this has worked to move around the teams, but I can't figure out how to get all the other info (points, goals) to move along with the team. Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Excel Facts

Pivot Table Drill Down
Double-click any number in a pivot table to create a new report showing all detail rows that make up that number
teampointsgoal diffgoals forgoals againstpoints plus goal diff factormatch resultspointsgoals forgoals againstgoal difference
usa32313goalsgoals
panama0-21301usa3panama1usa3panama0usa3panama1usa1panama3usa2panama-2
haiti12E-087712haiti7honduras7haiti1honduras1haiti7honduras7haiti7honduras7haiti0honduras0
honduras11E-097713
teams are ranked on points basis
but equal points automatically
prioritised based on goal difference
usa3
haiti1
honduras1
panama0

<colgroup><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col></colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jackpaz

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back