Automate Outlook email handling from an Excel workbook (VBA)

Oliver Dewar

Board Regular
Hi All!

For my business I need to automate the handling of the emails that hit our default inbox in Outlook. The 'handle emails' script will be run every few minutes and do one of several things depending on the email.

I thought this thread could end up being a nice - Outlook automation from excel 'toolbox' as all the scripts I need will be very generic.

These are what I need the scripts to do:

1. Check for the presence of emails in the default inbox.

2. If there are emails - cycle through them one after the other running 'if' statements that do several things.

(i) Test against the subject.

(ii) Test against the email sender's address.

(iii) Copy and paste of the email body to a single cell in the workbook to be processed.

(iv) Move the email to another folder under the Inbox hierarchy.

(v) Change the email status from read to unread or vice versa.

That's it.

Obviously why these actions will be taken depends on the info in the emails as compared to my data.

If anyone can help me with these scripts I'll be hugely grateful. I've had a look around the net for the answers but can only find scripts that do half of what I need and then half of something completely different and as my coding understanding is poor at best - I can't extract the good from the bad.

Cheers all!

Oliver

Excel Facts

Difference between two dates
Secret function! Use =DATEDIF(A2,B2,"Y")&" years"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"YM")&" months"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"MD")&" days"
I start with the code I wrote here:

http://www.jpsoftwaretech.com/outlook-vba/stock-event-code/

<CODE class="vb keyword">
Code:
Private</CODE> <CODE class="vb keyword">WithEvents</CODE> <CODE class="vb plain">Items </CODE><CODE class="vb keyword">As</CODE> <CODE class="vb plain">Outlook.Items </CODE>
<CODE class="vb spaces"></CODE>
<CODE class="vb keyword">Private</CODE> <CODE class="vb keyword">Sub</CODE> <CODE class="vb plain">Application_Startup() </CODE>
<CODE class="vb keyword">Dim</CODE> <CODE class="vb plain">olApp </CODE><CODE class="vb keyword">As</CODE> <CODE class="vb plain">Outlook.Application </CODE>
<CODE class="vb keyword">Dim</CODE> <CODE class="vb plain">objNS </CODE><CODE class="vb keyword">As</CODE> <CODE class="vb plain">Outlook.NameSpace </CODE>
<CODE class="vb keyword">Set</CODE> <CODE class="vb plain">olApp = Outlook.Application </CODE>
<CODE class="vb keyword">Set</CODE> <CODE class="vb plain">objNS = olApp.GetNamespace(</CODE><CODE class="vb string">"MAPI"</CODE><CODE class="vb plain">) </CODE>
<CODE class="vb keyword">Set</CODE> <CODE class="vb plain">Items = objNS.GetDefaultFolder(olFolderInbox).Items </CODE>
<CODE class="vb keyword">End</CODE> <CODE class="vb keyword">Sub</CODE>
<CODE class="vb keyword">Private</CODE> <CODE class="vb keyword">Sub</CODE> <CODE class="vb plain">Items_ItemAdd(</CODE><CODE class="vb keyword">ByVal</CODE> <CODE class="vb plain">item </CODE><CODE class="vb keyword">As</CODE> <CODE class="vb keyword">Object</CODE><CODE class="vb plain">) </CODE>
<CODE class="vb keyword">On</CODE> <CODE class="vb keyword">Error</CODE> <CODE class="vb plain">Goto ErrorHandler </CODE>
<CODE class="vb spaces"></CODE><CODE class="vb keyword">Dim</CODE> <CODE class="vb plain">Msg </CODE><CODE class="vb keyword">As</CODE> <CODE class="vb plain">Outlook.MailItem </CODE>
<CODE class="vb spaces"></CODE><CODE class="vb keyword">If</CODE> <CODE class="vb plain">TypeName(item) = </CODE><CODE class="vb string">"MailItem"</CODE> <CODE class="vb keyword">Then</CODE>
<CODE class="vb spaces">  </CODE><CODE class="vb keyword">Set</CODE> <CODE class="vb plain">Msg = item </CODE>

' ******************************
     ' what do you want to do?
     ' ******************************

<CODE class="vb spaces"></CODE><CODE class="vb keyword">End</CODE> <CODE class="vb keyword">If</CODE>
<CODE class="vb plain">ProgramExit: </CODE>
<CODE class="vb spaces"></CODE><CODE class="vb keyword">Exit</CODE> <CODE class="vb keyword">Sub</CODE>
<CODE class="vb plain">ErrorHandler: </CODE>
<CODE class="vb spaces"></CODE><CODE class="vb plain">MsgBox Err.Number & </CODE><CODE class="vb string">" - "</CODE> <CODE class="vb plain">& Err.Description </CODE>
<CODE class="vb spaces"></CODE><CODE class="vb keyword">Resume</CODE> <CODE class="vb plain">ProgramExit </CODE>
<CODE class="vb keyword">End</CODE> <CODE class="vb keyword">Sub

This code will automatically process incoming emails in Outlook. Paste into ThisOutlookSession, customize it and restart Outlook.</CODE>

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobmudombe

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back