Automatically letter debits/credits

tonyjyoo

Board Regular
Hello,

Random question. Is there any way to automatically put in letters for each pair of debit and credits I have in journal entries within excel?

For example, I would need A, B, C, D, etc. in a red circle.

Thanks,
Tony

Hmm, so we have some pairs of three, interesting . . . :)

Is the data already sorted in such a way that all members of the same group are next to each other ?

Is it possible that you could also have a "pair" like this . . .

Example E 100
Example E 10
Example E -50
Example E -60

... ?

Yes, that works also. See how it nets to 0.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Excel motto
Not everything I do at work revolves around Excel. Only the fun parts.
Yes, that works also. See how it nets to 0.
Could you have more than one set of numbers for the same item? For example..

Example E 100
Example E 15
Example E 40
Example E 10
Example E -25
Example E -50
Example E -60
Example E -20

Or would that be considered as just a large set like this...

Example E 100
Example E 15
Example E 40
Example E 10
Example E -25
Example E -50
Example E -60
Example E -20

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Could you have more than one set of numbers for the same item? For example..

Example E 100
Example E 15
Example E 40
Example E 10
Example E -25
Example E -50
Example E -60
Example E -20

Or would that be considered as just a large set like this...

Example E 100
Example E 15
Example E 40
Example E 10
Example E -25
Example E -50
Example E -60
Example E -20

In this scenario, since they are ALL "Example E", it would be the second set. Thus, I would need a circled "E" to label this set of data.

Upvote 0
Repeat of a question from post #10

Is the data already sorted in such a way that all members of the same group are next to each other ?

Upvote 0
Repeat of a question from post #10

In addition to Gerald's question above, I would like to know if you know, in advance, what text for Example 1, Example 2, etc. are? In other words, do you already have a list of each unique Example text that we can refer to (if yes, where is the list located) or do we have to create the list of unique Example text from your complete list ourselves?

Upvote 0
In addition to Gerald's question above, I would like to know if you know, in advance, what text for Example 1, Example 2, etc. are? In other words, do you already have a list of each unique Example text that we can refer to (if yes, where is the list located) or do we have to create the list of unique Example text from your complete list ourselves?

The entire set of data will already be complete. I was listing out examples to show how I wanted things to be grouped and lettered.

I was questioning whether there was a way to group these "examples" automatically. Currently I am hand writing them after I print these sheets.

Upvote 0
How about an answer to the question in post #10, repeated in post #14 ?

I thought I answered this.

Yes, the data is already sorted. BUT it wont necessarily ALWAYS be 1 positive (credit) and 1 negative (debit). Thus I showed list of examples it can be broken up.

Upvote 0
OK, so I think we're getting somewhere, at least in terms of understanding the problem.

To recap, we have a list of positive and negative entries.
These entries are pre-sorted, so that all entries that SHOULD be grouped, are in fact already grouped together somehow.
The size of these groups is at least two, but could in theory also be any size larger than two.
If we take all the values in a single group, they sum to zero.
We have no information at all about the size of each group, other than that its members sum to zero, and that the number of members is at least two.
Therefore the task includes identifying where one group ends and another group begins.

Is this an accurate description of the problem ?

If yes, then it seems like we might be able to use some kind of running total, and whenever it reaches zero, use that as an indication that the group is complete.
Could that work ?

Is it possible that a subgroup within a group could independently sum to zero ?
For example, could you have a group like this -
A cumulative sum would reach zero on the third entry, suggesting that the first three entries were a group.
But if your definition of this particular group is all 6 entries, then my suggestion would not work.

Upvote 0
OK, so I think we're getting somewhere, at least in terms of understanding the problem.

To recap, we have a list of positive and negative entries.
These entries are pre-sorted, so that all entries that SHOULD be grouped, are in fact already grouped together somehow.
The size of these groups is at least two, but could in theory also be any size larger than two.
If we take all the values in a single group, they sum to zero.
We have no information at all about the size of each group, other than that its members sum to zero, and that the number of members is at least two.
Therefore the task includes identifying where one group ends and another group begins.

Is this an accurate description of the problem ?

If yes, then it seems like we might be able to use some kind of running total, and whenever it reaches zero, use that as an indication that the group is complete.
Could that work ?

Is it possible that a subgroup within a group could independently sum to zero ?
For example, could you have a group like this -
A cumulative sum would reach zero on the third entry, suggesting that the first three entries were a group.
But if your definition of this particular group is all 6 entries, then my suggestion would not work.

YES to all criteria listed except in your last group of numbers, I will never have a case where they are sorted like this. Data will always be sorted with positives first in a group (either 1 or multiple), followed by its corresponding negatives, summing to 0.

Does this make sense?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MoonDancer

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back