Automatically letter debits/credits

tonyjyoo

Board Regular
Hello,

Random question. Is there any way to automatically put in letters for each pair of debit and credits I have in journal entries within excel?

For example, I would need A, B, C, D, etc. in a red circle.

Thanks,
Tony

Yes, I think that's helpful, in that case I think I'm right in saying that if we use some kind of cumulative sum function, then each time it turns to zero, it indicates the end of a group.

This is doable with helper columns.

For example, let's say your values are in the range A2:A100.
In B2, put something like this

=a2+b1

and copy this down to B100.

This formula should show a zero from time to time, and specifically on the LAST entry in each group.

We can then use this to work out when your identification letters need to change.

Try what I've described here - is it working like this ?

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Create a Pivot Table on a Map
If your data has zip codes, postal codes, or city names, select the data and use Insert, 3D Map. (Found to right of chart icons).
Yes, I think that's helpful, in that case I think I'm right in saying that if we use some kind of cumulative sum function, then each time it turns to zero, it indicates the end of a group.

This is doable with helper columns.

For example, let's say your values are in the range A2:A100.
In B2, put something like this

=a2+b1

and copy this down to B100.

This formula should show a zero from time to time, and specifically on the LAST entry in each group.

We can then use this to work out when your identification letters need to change.

Try what I've described here - is it working like this ?

Yes - I see the logic going on here. How can I now incorporate this to letter each zero starting from A, B, C, etc.? If at all possible, I would want them as red circled.

Upvote 0
You could use SUMIFS. Although if you want it to circle it in red after it zeroes out, you are wanting a VBA answer. Are you familiar with coding? Or are you just wanting a formula? You could perhaps use Conditional Formatting to shade the cell rather than circle it, and this would be a much simpler answer to give you.

Upvote 0
You could use SUMIFS. Although if you want it to circle it in red after it zeroes out, you are wanting a VBA answer. Are you familiar with coding? Or are you just wanting a formula? You could perhaps use Conditional Formatting to shade the cell rather than circle it, and this would be a much simpler answer to give you.

I am familiar with VBA but don't know how I can write this. And I need circled lettering for this purpose.

Upvote 0
I think I can get this to work for up to 26 groups, but need to do a bit more thinking to get it to work for more than 26 groups.

What is the maximum possible number of groups - hundreds ? thousands ? millions ?

Upvote 0
I think I can get this to work for up to 26 groups, but need to do a bit more thinking to get it to work for more than 26 groups.

What is the maximum possible number of groups - hundreds ? thousands ? millions ?

It usually is up to I'd say... 50 groups. And it won't necessarily be up to 26 groups for each case either. I would just want some type of threshold so it can account for if it has up to lets say 50.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JayEggleton

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back