AverageIf function using GetPivotData

jamezsez

Hi All,

I am having trouble with a formula to calculate the average of a GetPivotData range (4 different values) while excluding values of 0.

I can get the formula to work using the following Average formula,

=AVERAGE
(GETPIVOTDATA("Average_Estimated_Pax",'Data Pivot (Avg LG Entries)'!$A$4,"stn_desc",$A5,"cqtr",W$1,"spm_daytype",$E$2),
GETPIVOTDATA("Average_Estimated_Pax",'Data Pivot (Avg LG Entries)'!$A$4,"stn_desc",$A5,"cqtr",X$1,"spm_daytype",$E$2),
GETPIVOTDATA("Average_Estimated_Pax",'Data Pivot (Avg LG Entries)'!$A$4,"stn_desc",$A5,"cqtr",Y$1,"spm_daytype",$E$2),
GETPIVOTDATA("Average_Estimated_Pax",'Data Pivot (Avg LG Entries)'!$A$4,"stn_desc",$A5,"cqtr",Z$1,"spm_daytype",$E$2))

But when using the AverageIfs function, I cannot work out the structure of the formula.

I would assume it would be,

=AVERAGEIF
(GETPIVOTDATA("Average_Estimated_Pax",'Data Pivot (Avg LG Entries)'!$A$4,"stn_desc",$A5,"cqtr",W$1,"spm_daytype",$E$2),
GETPIVOTDATA("Average_Estimated_Pax",'Data Pivot (Avg LG Entries)'!$A$4,"stn_desc",$A5,"cqtr",X$1,"spm_daytype",$E$2),
GETPIVOTDATA("Average_Estimated_Pax",'Data Pivot (Avg LG Entries)'!$A$4,"stn_desc",$A5,"cqtr",Y$1,"spm_daytype",$E$2),
GETPIVOTDATA("Average_Estimated_Pax",'Data Pivot (Avg LG Entries)'!$A$4,"stn_desc",$A5,"cqtr",Z$1,"spm_daytype",$E$2),"<>0")

but this does not work...

You help is MUCH appreciated.

Excel Facts

What is the last column in Excel?
Excel columns run from A to Z, AA to AZ, AAA to XFD. The last column is XFD.
Hi jamezsez,

The AVERAGEIF function requires a range argument whereas the AVERAGE function can accept non-range arguments like numbers. Your AVERAGEIF try doesn't work because each GETPIVOTDATA expression is returning a value instead of a range reference.

Syntax:
AVERAGEIF(range, criteria, [average_range])
AVERAGE(number1, [number2], ...)

A fairly simple workaround would be to put each one of your four GETPIVOTDATA expressions in a separate helper cell, then use a simple formula like...

=AVERAGEIF(F2:F5,"<>0")

If there's some reason you really want the entire calculation in one cell, one rather lengthy way would be to use the AVERAGE function and test each GETPIVOTDATA expression separately for 0 values. It would have the form.....

=AVERAGE(IF(< GetPivotExpression1>=0,FALSE,< GetPivotExpression1>),IF(< GetPivotExpression2>=0,FALSE,< GetPivotExpression2>),....)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi jamezsez,

The AVERAGEIF function requires a range argument whereas the AVERAGE function can accept non-range arguments like numbers. Your AVERAGEIF try doesn't work because each GETPIVOTDATA expression is returning a value instead of a range reference.

Syntax:
AVERAGEIF(range, criteria, [average_range])
AVERAGE(number1, [number2], ...)

A fairly simple workaround would be to put each one of your four GETPIVOTDATA expressions in a separate helper cell, then use a simple formula like...

=AVERAGEIF(F2:F5,"<>0")

If there's some reason you really want the entire calculation in one cell, one rather lengthy way would be to use the AVERAGE function and test each GETPIVOTDATA expression separately for 0 values. It would have the form.....

=AVERAGE(IF(< GetPivotExpression1>=0,FALSE,< GetPivotExpression1>),IF(< GetPivotExpression2>=0,FALSE,< GetPivotExpression2>),....)
I have a similar issue except that I'm using slicers with getpivotdata and I've set up a named range for each slicer target but I want the named range to be large enough to accommodate the changing size of the pivot table as it has multiple filters within it. My getpivotdata formula looks like this:

=GETPIVOTDATA("Net ARPU P&L USD",'Chart Pivots'!$CK$6,
"Market",slicer_selection_market,
"Client Type - Category",slicer_selection_client_type_category,
"Client Type - Detail",slicer_selection_client_type_detail,
"Contract type",slicer_selection_contract_type,
"Status",slicer_selection_status,
"Source",slicer_selection_source,
"Type of Venue",slicer_selection_venue,
"Year",slicer_selection_year)

Each slicer_selection named range is something like a6:a1000, b6:b1000 etc. These throw up hundreds of errors, of course, so I wrapped the whole statement in an iferror which works fine for summing the selection. However, when I want to average it, the 0s take over and it ruins the result, just giving me 0 as there are so many 0s in the resulting arrays. Is there a way to get this to work in a single cell as an average? Is there a better way to reference a slicer selection in an excel formula when you need it to be of dynamic length? As far as I can work out, you either have to feed the AVERAGE formula a smaller array, not including the errors/0s at all or you have to make the slicer_selection named ranges dynamic somehow or you have to find a way to do this using AVERAGEIFS and make the GETPIVOTDATA evaluate to a range...

Thank you so much!

Upvote 0
Try returning "" rather than 0 in your IFERROR. AVERAGE should ignore those.

Upvote 0
Glad we could help. :)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rache47

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back