Bank Reconciliation in Excel

vikas0577

Dear All,
I require to reconcile 2 sheets every month and its very tedious.
Can this be automated by a macro. here is what I need to do.
sheet 1 is the bank statement , sheet 2 is the reconciliation sheet, where I have to search the items from the sheet 1 and if the item is present in sheet 2 then I have to enter the date from sheet 1 to sheet 2, thus clearing all the similar items in both the sheets.
Pl. help thanks

Excel Facts

How to total the visible cells?
From the first blank cell below a filtered data set, press Alt+=. Instead of SUM, you will get SUBTOTAL(9,)
I'm not sure what you mean by "clearing all the similar items," but a VLOOKUP formula is what you need to check the contents of Sheet2 against Sheet1 and return a date. It can be automated by macro. You'll need to provide details of how the columns are arranged for specific help though.

Upvote 0
Dear jardenp,
Thanks for prompt reply, by "clearing all the similar items," I mean that the similar records are marked off in the reconciliation sheet, thus affecting the Balance in the sheet, which is to be matched with the bank statement.
Any ways I am providing you with both the sheets format as under.
This is Bank Statement sheet 1

image removed

This is the Reconciliation sheet 2

image removed

Now here if you see when I enter the dates for the similar records ( which is found by the cheque numbers in both the sheets) the balance amt. in yellow changes and after all the records ( from the bank statement ) are marked by the dates in the cleared on column the yellow balance matches with the closing bal. in the bank statement sheet.

I hope you will now understand this case.
Also if you can send me your email id then I can attach the files so that you get a better idea, of what I exactly mean.
Thanks
Vikas

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
So what do you want to happen? Do you want the Receipt column in sheet 2 to look up the check number in sheet 1 and return the "TXN Amount(INR)" value from that row? You could then set up the "Cleared On" column to fill when the Receipt and Payment columns match (maybe fill with "Cleared", which could then be changed to the clear date).

Also, I wouldn't send bank statement spreadsheets to strangers on the Internet, no matter how nice and helpful they are. :) And you should edit out the account numbers from your post!

So, tell me what you specifically want to do and I'll see if I can help.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
vikas,

I have removed the images showing the financial information.

Please don't ever post real personal, financial, or confidential data on these public forums! At best, you could upset your clients, at worst, you could be violating company policies or local laws (and get yourself and/or your company in a heap of legal trouble).

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Motoracer88

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back