Begin a new line in cell when key words are entered

skyport

What I'm hoping to have is a code that will say have a list of precise key words in column A on a page to be named "words" so that new ones could be added from time to time.

On page 2 of the work book, in column G, text would be entered into cells by either typing or pasting existing text from another source. Each time a key word from the word page is encountered in a cell in column G on page 2 from the text pasted or typed, it would take that key word and the text that follows and make it begin on the next line WITHIN that cell.

EXAMPLE:

Say the words list contained the key words Impression: and Diagnosis:

The data entered in a single cell in column G may look like this when typed or pasted:

The person involved had the doctor review the accident. Impression: The complaint was shoulder pain. Diagnosis: Shoulder sprain.

That same data when the code is ran would look like the following in the single cell:

The person involved had the doctor review the accident.
Impression: The complaint was shoulder pain.
Diagnosis: Shoulder sprain.

Any help would be much appreciated.

I wonder if you already have line feeds in the text, try this small amendment to mine:

Code:
Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)
Dim r As Range, c As Range, w As Range
Application.EnableEvents = False
Set r = Intersect(Target, Columns("G"))
If Not r Is Nothing Then
    For Each c In r
        c.Replace vbLf, " ", LookAt:=xlPart
        With Sheets("Words")
            For Each w In .Range("A1:A" & .Range("A" & .Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row)
                If InStr(1, c.Value, w.Value, vbTextCompare) > 1 Then
                    c.Replace w.Value, vbLf & w.Value, LookAt:=xlPart
                End If
            Next w
        End With
        c.EntireRow.AutoFit
    Next c
End If
Application.EnableEvents = True
End Sub

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Repeat Last Command
Pressing F4 adds dollar signs when editing a formula. When not editing, F4 repeats last command.
when trying the Macro by Rick, it gives an error 1004 and debug highlights the following line:

Words = Sheets("Words").Range("A1", Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp))

Upvote 0
If you copy the example text you gave directly from post#7 in the forum and paste it into column G does it work as expected?

It does for me.

Upvote 0
Just tried again and it comes out as below:

Subjective
Complaints: Persistent pain in neck bilaterally with headaches radiating numbness and tingling symptoms in upper extremity. Low back pain is 50% improved since radiofrequency ablation treatment.Current
Medications: Vicoprofen, Relafen and Prilosec.
Diagnoses: Neck pain-minor discogenic and changes in small spur complexes. Low back pain, disc disease at L5-S1, mild bilateral foraminal narrowing. No stenosis. Abnormal electrodiagnostic studies, nerve conduction study was positive for left mild carpal tunnel syndrome, but otherwise normal.
Plan: It is not believe that carpal tunnel syndrome is what is bothering her the most. She will continue her current
Medications.

Work status: Remains unchanged

Upvote 0
Can you put the workbook on a file sharing site, like dropbox for example and share the link here?

Upvote 0
One other very important thing that is happening that would also cause a problem is that the text that remains in the cell after running the code leaves a lot of blank space above the text in the cell and also does not allow for later editing to manually insert a line of new text above the existing text.

Upvote 0
when trying the Macro by Rick, it gives an error 1004 and debug highlights the following line:

Words = Sheets("Words").Range("A1", Sheets("Words").Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp))

There was a mistake in that line of code... see what I added in red to correct it.

Upvote 0
Thanks Rick, I really did want to try BOTH concepts. I am assuming yours goes into a regular module.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lachbee

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back