Best function for current problem

aalexandrew

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hey people,

I'm currently working on a sheet containing thousands of entries where I will need to update information that is repeated throughout many sheets. Rather than manually 'Search & Replace', I was wondering if there was a way without doing (=A2), to have a formula that will associate the 'code' cells to the ones from the parent sheet. I have tried VLOOKUP, which does not seem to be as reliable according to some when it comes to larger amounts of data. Both INDEX and MATCH I have a grasp on when separated, yet when they are together I have no clue how to go about it despite my research. I was wondering if there was an easier way of having a 'one-size fits all' formula that I can just copy paste in all of the 'code' cells that would fetch the data from the parent sheet.

I have thought of using the IDs as a means of finding the row needed, because these IDs are individual and cannot be repeated but have yet to figure out a way to do this.

Which functions are best for something like this and how would I go about applying it?

P.S. I am very new to Excel and am trying to learn more but have not been able to get this done.

Thank you very much!

Attachments

• Excel Example.png
    Excel Example.png
    13.9 KB · Views: 12

Excel Facts

Excel motto
Not everything I do at work revolves around Excel. Only the fun parts.
Hey people,

I'm currently working on a sheet containing thousands of entries where I will need to update information that is repeated throughout many sheets. Rather than manually 'Search & Replace', I was wondering if there was a way without doing (=A2), to have a formula that will associate the 'code' cells to the ones from the parent sheet. I have tried VLOOKUP, which does not seem to be as reliable according to some when it comes to larger amounts of data. Both INDEX and MATCH I have a grasp on when separated, yet when they are together I have no clue how to go about it despite my research. I was wondering if there was an easier way of having a 'one-size fits all' formula that I can just copy paste in all of the 'code' cells that would fetch the data from the parent sheet.

I have thought of using the IDs as a means of finding the row needed, because these IDs are individual and cannot be repeated but have yet to figure out a way to do this.

Which functions are best for something like this and how would I go about applying it?

P.S. I am very new to Excel and am trying to learn more but have not been able to get this done.

Thank you very much!
XLOOKUP fastest of all and easy to write.

Try it.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peppernaut

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back