Best way for showing 3 lowest areas

bartmanekul

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I've tried using the SMALL function, but this doesn't work when you want the 3 lowest results and they can often be the same amounts.

My data is pulled from another table via pivot table, and looks like this:

Area 1Area 2Area 3Area 4

<tbody>
</tbody>

My data has a lot more areas, most cases 14 rather than 4 above.

The problem I have is that I want to display the 3 lowest areas elsewhere in a nice format. I'd done this using MATCH and SMALL.

However, the 3 cells I created will always show the same one if there is areas sharing the same low rate (like the last row in my example). So for the last row, my cells would all show Area 2, even though they are set to look for the lowest 1, 2 and 3.

Is there a better way to do this? Or is there code I can add into my formula to stop this from happening?

Excel Facts

Excel Joke
Why can't spreadsheets drive cars? They crash too often!
Row\Col
A​
B​
C​
D​
H​
I​
1​
Area 1 Area 2 Area 3 Area 4
3​
2​
3 2 2.5 2.5
3​
3​
2.65 1 1 1valuesareas
4​
1​
Area 2
5​
1​
Area 3
6​
1​
Area 4
7​

In H2 just enter:

=COUNTIFS(A2:D3,"<="&SMALL(A2:D3,H1))

In H4 just enter and copy down:

=IF(ROWS($H$3:H3)>$H$2,"",SMALL($A$2:$D$3,ROWS($H$3:H3)))

In I4 control+shift+enter, not just enter, and copy down:

=IF($H4="","",INDEX($A$1:$D$1,SMALL(IF($A$2:$D$3=$H4,COLUMN($A$1:$D$1)-COLUMN($A$1)+1),COUNTIFS($H$4:H4,H4))))

Upvote 0
Thanks for the help. Unfortunately when I try to replicate this, I get a value error.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the help. Unfortunately when I try to replicate this, I get a value error.

Control+shift+enter means: Press down the control and the shift keys at the same time while you hit the enter kay. If done as suggested, Excel itself puts a pair of { and } around the formula in recognition.

Upvote 0

I get a NUM error now, but I realise something critical I missed out - this would need to be for each row, since it's month by month (months being in the row).

Upvote 0
Thanks for your help again. I can't apply this since the indexes would need to go over columns, not rows (can't put 3 down for each one) but that's my fault for not specifying that I'd have to have the lowest 3 for each row.

Upvote 0
Thanks for your help again. I can't apply this since the indexes would need to go over columns, not rows (can't put 3 down for each one) but that's my fault for not specifying that I'd have to have the lowest 3 for each row.

Row\Col
A​
B​
C​
D​
H​
I​
J​
K​
1​
Area 1 Area 2 Area 3 Area 4
2​
3 2 2.5 2.5Area 2Area 3Area 4
3​
2.65 1 1 1Area 2Area 3Area 4
4​

In H2 control+shift+enter, not just enter, copy across, and down:

=IFERROR(INDEX($A$1:$D$1,SMALL(IF($A2:$D2<=SMALL($A2:$D2,MIN(3,COUNT($A2:$D2))),COLUMN($A$1:$D$1)-COLUMN($A$1)+1),COLUMNS($H2:H2))),"")

Upvote 0
Many thanks for the help, it's the first chance I've had to test the formula.

It doesn't display the lowest ones, and results are the same for all rows. I'm sure it's an error my end, but I appreciate the time taken to try and help!

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jojomen56

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back