Borders Macro

SamanthaP

Hi all

I'm trying to create a booking sheet that my colleagues and I can use to keep track of our desk allocations to clients; I'm fine with simple macro recording to fill colour, add a border and centre the text etc. (will be a shared workbook so using Alignment > Centre across selection rather than Merge Cells) but if a booking needs to be deleted, I want the borders to go back to how I have already set them up. T

he problem is that Desk 1 and Desk 14 have different borders from the other desks and if I try to format another row and hide it so that the macro can use the borders to format paint the selection using the hidden row, it messes up if the booking is made on a half hour because I have a solid border going down on the hour and a broken border going down the half hour.. I can't reset the whole row as we often have more than one booking a day on a desk and I only want to delete and reset the selection... any ideas would be greatly appreciated!!

I'd upload a document or screenshot but am a newbie so not sure how to do it :/

Am on Excel 2010.

Quick question.

How do you physically make the light vertical dotted lines that divide the hour?

Howard

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Did you know Excel offers Filter by Selection?
Add the AutoFilter icon to the Quick Access Toolbar. Select a cell containing Apple, click AutoFilter, and you will get all rows with Apple
Have made some progress. Having trouble making the code ignore the cells that have color in them (Booked Times).

It wants to format right on over the highlighted cell and that is what I am trying to solve.

As is, do this.

Note the button near cell W1 named Reform. Also in X1 and Y1 are drop downs. You select a Day from X1 and a Desk number from Y1 and then run the code by clicking the Reform button.

I believe it is now set up to run on Monday, Desk 9. Just click the button and note the results.

I did remove some merged cells, the large bold weekdays names are now centered across selection and the Desk column are in a single column.

Merged cells are a huge menace to work with using code or worksheet functions, and troube-shooting can become a nightmare.

Comments or questions??

https://www.dropbox.com/s/phs2j66w3iq41sh/AA Copy of DeskBookings Drop Box.xlsm

Howard

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well, it took some time, sorry bout that, but here is a "completed" version.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/z2mnc5jycvpcbfy/DeskBookings Reformatting Drop Box.xlsm

You will need to play with it to see if it does the things you want. Maybe some things you do not want it to do.

In cell X1 is a drop down from which you can pick the Day, Monday thru Saturday.
In cell Y1 is a drop down from which you can pick the Desk 1 thru 14 or "SkillTec Room", "Delegate Area" on down to "Out of Office 2".

Once a Day and a Desk is selected then click the smallish "Reform" button and that row on that Day will be reformatted.
Any "Reserved Times" (colored cells) are ignored.

So when you delete a "reservation" you now have a group of cells with no border formatting. You would select from the drop downs, the Day and the Desk, and click the "Reform" button.

You may notice that when you select the Y1 drop down cell that the column is automatically widened to give a full views of the longer items, "SkillTec Room", "Delegate Area" on down to "Out of Office 2".

Once you click outside the Y1 cell it reverts to normal width.

There is also code to "Center on Screen" the current Day you are working on while the cursor is returned to cell X2.

Please let me know how it goes.

Regards,
Howard

Upvote 0
Howard, you are a GENUIS!

Thank you so much! This is just what is needed... I'm really so grateful for this and thank you for your time and effort!

I really thought it might be impossible but you clearly know your stuff!!

Thank you again!

Samantha :biggrin:

Upvote 0
Hi Samantha,

Glad it works for you, you may see something you need to tweak as you use it more.

The code is written largely by a true genius named Claus who is a dominate contributor along with a few others in the MS Public Excel forums.

I will take full credit for being the messenger here.

You can do this to clean up the workbook.

In Module 1 find the code that is titled as this:

Sub ReFormTheRowxxxx()
'/ by Claus

and delete it. It does nothing now and was an earlier version which has been replaced with the code headed as this:

'/ **** This Code Is In Use ****\'
'/ Assigned to the button "Reform"

Sub DayFormater()

Regards,
Howard

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jacobs22

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back