Calculate Time Between Two Times In Excel That Cross Midnight?

elrayo79

Okay, so I have scoured the Forum's and the web in general. There is a lot of info on how to calculate time but this is not addressed. I need to calculate hours worked between 9:00 PM - 12:00 AM when the employee works over midnight. Example: Start 9:00 AM Stop 2:30 AM should equal 3 because the employee worked between 9:00 PM and Midnight. Right now I have it is incorrectly working with

Start 6:30 AM Stop 2:30 AM works with = IF (End Time > 9:00 PM, End Time - 9:00 PM, 11:59:59 PM - 9:00 PM) * 24
Start 7:30 AM Stop 8:30 PM does not work with the same formula because the False triggers the 11:59:59 PM - 9:00 PM because the End time is not greater.

Using = IF (End Time > 9:00 PM, End Time - 9:00 PM, 0) * 24 of course does not work either because Excel treats time worked the next day as Less than the end time because it does not realize that it is the next day . Any help would be greatly appreciated!

V/R,

elrayo79

Excel Facts

Format cells as currency
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+4 to format cells as currency. (Shift 4 is the $ sign).
Hi. Lets say you have start time in A1 and end time in B1:

=((B1 < A1)+B1-A1)*24<a1)+b1-a1)*24< html=""></a1)+b1-a1)*24<>

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hello! That works with a straight time to time calculation but I am doing a separate calculation for the hours between 9 PM - 12 AM to calculate premium pay when the employee works from 9 AM - 3 AM for instance. The calc needs to 3 hours because they are eligible for the premium pay between 9-12. So, I am trying to do a separate calculation with a max value of 3 hours if the employee worked between 9 PM and 12 AM.

Upvote 0
Oh ok. Try it like this then:

=MAX(0,24*(IF(B1>=A1,B1,1)-MAX(A1,21/24)))

Format to general/ number.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
That works! Wow. Pretty simple approach that I was not even considering. Thank you for the assist with this!!!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ikke

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back