Calling a function with a variable

JackDanIce

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi,

Overview: Macro to open various data source files and create CSV sheets to independently save down
Process: Open source files, extract data, close file

Problem: Some source files contain data not needed or after extracting data, post process is required.

For this example, Timesheet is sheet name and function specific for it is:
Rich (BB code):
Public Function Pre_Timesheet(ByRef wks As Worksheet) As Worksheet
'code to remove unwanted data before importing
End Function
All sheets that require a pre step, I name their specific function (or sub) Pre_<sheet name> (similarly for any sheets requiring post import work, Post_<name>).

In my code, I have
Rich (BB code):
Const PRE_ as String = "Sheet1|Sheet2|Sheet3"
If Instr(PRE_, wks.Name) Then
    Str = Replace("Pre_@1 (wks)", "@1", wks.name)
    Set wks = Application.Run Str
End If
Line in red errors: "Cannot run the macro 'Pre_Timesheet (sWks)'. The macro may not be available in this workbook or.."

Tried searching online, came across Application.Run, CallByName but I can't get them to work for my requirement.

Can anyone suggest how I to indirectly call a function with required argument for example above?

Thank you in advance,
Jack

Excel Facts

Difference between two dates
Secret function! Use =DATEDIF(A2,B2,"Y")&" years"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"YM")&" months"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"MD")&" days"
Code:
Const PRE_ as String = "Sheet1|Sheet2|Sheet3"
    Str = Replace("Pre_@1", "@1", wks.name)
    Set wks = Application.Run Str, wks
End If

Arguments are passed separately I believe.

WBD

Upvote 0
Thanks WBD, got it to work, it was as you suspected, needing to pass arguments separately.

Upvote 0
I am having trouble following this...
I think you are looking to see if the Worksheet name is in the PRE_ constant
Code:
and if it is, then I dont follow what Replace is doing - are you searching some String named Str to replace parts with variable names? Just replacing the '1' in PRE_ with the Worksheet Name? I assume you are putting in the whole string of what procedure to run dynamically...
Code:
Then you are setting the worksheet to be the worksheet after the macro in Str was run?
Code:

I am trying to create a workbook from a prototype, then run a macro (called ValidatedLists) to set Data Validation dropdowns of dynamic length for various cells within the created workbook (subject of another future post on how to best do this dynamically)

Code:
' ... update Data Validation dropdown lists
  ' trying to use a string where MacroNameToRun & WbName are defined Strings
    MacroNameToRun = WbName & ".xlsm!ValidatedLists"
  Application.Run MacroNameToRun  ' still gives an error message that the macro is not found in the created workbook

' Call ValidatedLists  ' wont work because the macro is not in the calling workbook, it is in the dynamically created target workbook nwb, so I need to call it from the created workbook at runtime
     ' Application.Run ("'" & WbName & "'!" & "ValidatedLists")  ' dont know how to get the right escape keys to include single quotes?

CallByName nwb, ValidatedLists, VbMethod  ' does not work using Workbook nwb
  CallByName WbName, ValidatedLists, VbMethod  ' does not work using String WbName - it is supposed to be a Variant for first input...

I get an error message with CallByName, as well, because I cant figure out how to get the WbName String into a Variant variable - if I start with WbName as a Variant, it wont work to create the Workbook with that variable name

Upvote 0
Code:
Application.Run "'" & WbName & "'!ValidatedLists"

should work assuming wbname is the correct workbook name, including extension, and that ValidatedLists is not also the name of a module.

Upvote 0
@sbp1975 I'm working on a project for a company that imports data and creates 6 output sheets, that are then individually saved as csv files for upload to a new system.

You may be struggling with the code because I stripped out anything non needed (there are 5 modules in total Mod_Main, Mod_Common, Mod_CreateOutput, Mod_Pre and Mod_Post) which I'm not going to copy all out and paste here, just enough to explain the code issue I had and hopefully enough info to get a fix, as @wideboydixon was able to suggest and resolve (Thank you again!).

My macro workbook (ThisWorkbook) basically follows this pattern: Open source file, set up a map of headers (source to destination), import data save sheet

Some of the data imports need pre-import work (e.g. delete rows) and one needs post work by inserting rows and transposing some weekly column data into weekly row data.

As I try to use general functions and procedures as much as possible (to reduce the amount of written code in a project), then

Rich (BB code):
correctly identifies if a sheet needs pre or post work and then if it does, I've given those proecdures specific names with pre or post fix "PRE_" or "POST_"

If sheet name is "Budget1" then
Rich (BB code):
runs macro "Pre_Budget1" from ThisWorkbook so I don't need to specify "ThisWorkbook" like Rory suggests you do here
Rich (BB code):
"'" & WbName & "'!ValidatedLists"
In your case, I believe the macro's are in a different workbook to the workbook that's calling it so specification was needed.

Finally, for this macro project, all my Pre_ and Post_ are actually functions that return a worksheet object, that's why I'm using
Rich (BB code):
So for "Budget1", the UDF is:

Rich (BB code):
Public Function Pre_Budget1(Byref wks as worksheet, byref col1 as Long, byref col2 as Long) as worksheet
Dim x as Long
Dim y as Long
'some code
Set Pre_Budget1 = wks
End Function
Which returns a worksheet object back to Set wks =

Hope that explains

Last edited:
Upvote 0
runs macro "Pre_Budget1" from ThisWorkbook so I don't need to specify "ThisWorkbook" like Rory suggests you do here
Meaning Rory's comment is specific for your requirement, my macro file is calling the macro I need with Appication.Run str so didn't need to specifiy it (based on VBA object hirearchy) for my situation.

Upvote 0
Thanks Rory, I must have been missing an apostrophe - I got it to work now.
I will need to further modify the macro to use a named range in a Validated List, so will post a separate thread to ask about how I could do this...

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rscraig11

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back