Can I recreate Excel 2003 type toolbar and menus in Excel 2016?

ancient

Hi all, I registered just to ask this question. I considering upgrade to Excel 2016 from 2003. I'm still using Excel 2003, but considering finally making update to Office 2016. The reason I'm still using Excel 2003 is comfort with the toolbars vs. the shock I experienced when trying to learn the newer versions. The ribbon made me feel like an idiot - really hurting my ability to build my models.

So my question: Given that I really like 2003, is it possible inside of Excel 2016 to create an Excel 2003 type work environment with menus and customized toolbars similar to what I'm familiar with from Excel 2003? I'm very familiar with how all that works, and hate to lose all that familiarity.

I'm retired and a home user now, so demands are less compared to work environment, and I can probably safely use 2003 for as long as the OS will run it, but I know one day I might have to update. Future compatibility is really driving my decision, as Excel 2003 pretty much does everything I need at this point, and I prefer Excel to other options like Libre Office both for workflow as well as compatibility.

My main uses currently are maintaining spreadsheets I use for stock valuation, but every year or so I do have an idea and set about building new models or cleanup data, so occasionally I'll go into fleshing out some fairly detailed models, and the thought of not having my comfortable working environment scares me a bit.

Thanks in advance for your time, and appreciate comments from those on their update experience and whether the update might be worth it for someone like me.

Excel Facts

How to find 2nd largest value in a column?
MAX finds the largest value. =LARGE(A:A,2) will find the second largest. =SMALL(A:A,3) will find the third smallest
G'day ancient, I was in exactly the same boat until a few days ago. My concerns were:
Will my extensive macros still work without major mods? So far yes, with no dramas (had to fix a couple of references).
What do I do about all my custom toolbars?
What do I do about my custom colour palette?

Haven't quite wrapped my head around the colour palette, but i have been able to create my own theme, which is close enough. You can also change a setting to preserve the look of older sheets (forget where - there's a bit of overload going on.......).

As for the Ribbon and toolbars, well I really like the Ribbon (hadn't seen one until two days ago, except in my partner's hair). It does tend to have a mind of it's own, and I still have a few difficulties with it that I'm trying to sort out (will post them here shortly).

I would say go for it, it's not as painful as it might seem.

HTH

Upvote 0
I have created my own tab on the ribbon and I've managed to get about 75 commands on that, just on a 15" screen. When my bigger second screen arrives in a few days the ribbon will be significantly wider, and I'll probably rarely leave that customised tab.

Upvote 0
I have created my own tab on the ribbon and I've managed to get about 75 commands on that, just on a 15" screen. When my bigger second screen arrives in a few days the ribbon will be significantly wider, and I'll probably rarely leave that customised tab.

So it sounds like you think you've been able to set things up so your workflow is good? My main concern is fighting w/ the interface to do things that would be second nature. We upgraded my wife's computer to something newer (sorry I tried Help-About but can't find that to find the version she has), but whenever I build spreadsheets for her I have her send them to me because I get immensely frustrated trying to work on her machine. Not even being able to find the version she's running is an example of what I worry about - so much seems different.

Upvote 0
.....I get immensely frustrated trying to work on her machine.
No doubt because you haven't gone through the learning curve properly and with diligence.

I'm currently changing from a 9 yo Dell to a scalded cat Toshiba, and from XP/2003 directly to Win 10/2016. AT the same time doing vast amounts of research on peripherals, and there have not yet been any knocks on the door about too much blue language audible at the top of the street (where the Courthouse is).:coffee:

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chestertim

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back