Can't use Running Total Field in Pivot Table Calculated Field

MikeH2

I know I'm going to feel really dumb about this when I find the answer - but here goes.

Problem: I've got a database that consists all of my stock transactions for the last 20 years. The fields include: date, account, stock, activity, number of shares and cost per share.

I've used a Pivot Table to create a series of columns for each stock that consists of the number of shares transacted on a given date, the running total of those shares and the cost/share on that date.

I want to calculate the market value of the stock on that date by using the product of the running total of stock shares multiplied by the cost per share on that date.

HOWEVER

When I try to insert a calculated field in the Pivot Table, the running total does not show up in the list of fields that I can select from. When I try to type in the name of the running total field, I get a notice that says "the formula you typed contains an error".

Any ideas?

Thanks
MikeH2

Excel Facts

Formula for Yesterday
Name Manager, New Name. Yesterday =TODAY()-1. OK. Then, use =YESTERDAY in any cell. Tomorrow could be =TODAY()+1.
What is the name of the running total field? I don't think you will be able to calculate the market value in a calculated fireld because the price won't be weighted by the volume Why don't you add a value field to your source data and include that in your pivot table?

Upvote 0
Arrgh!!

I knew I'd end up feeling like a dope - again.

Went back and added the Market value to my database calculations - then could extract and summarize it in the pivot table.

Problem is solved - and thanks

HOWEVER

I still wonder why it doesn't seem like you can reference a running total in the pivot table's calculated field.

Thanks again for your help.

MikeH2

Upvote 0
Just realized that I declared victory too quickly. The Market Value on a given date is not the Rolling Total of the individual transactions for a given security - it is the product of the most recent quote times the rolling total of the number of shares. I'm back to my original problem.

Upvote 0
In your source data you can use SUMIF to return the total transactions for a given share and multiply it by the latest price to get the market value.

Upvote 0
Worked like a charm. Guess I'm too fixated on solving this via Pivot Tables.
"To a carpenter, every problem has a hammer as part of the solution".
Thanks again
MikeH2

Upvote 0
Worked like a charm. Guess I'm too fixated on solving this via Pivot Tables.
"To a carpenter, every problem has a hammer as part of the solution".
Thanks again
MikeH2

Me too :). I was trying to do this in the pivot table whereas the underlying data with a combination of Sumifs (i need a few more filtering criteria) and calculations allowed me to quickly see when total projects hours have gone negative.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LKN2GO

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back