Capturing a set quantity based on delimiter

jbodell

Board Regular
Good morning,

I have a concatenation of unique identifiers, separated by commas, in column A. I have a formula in Column B which is as follows: =LEFT(A1,FIND(CHAR(1),SUBSTITUTE(A1&",",",",CHAR(1),2))-1) which identifies the first two unique identifiers in A:

A: 01,02,03,04,05
B: 01, 02

What I'm having trouble with is creating a =MID in C to identify the third and fourth identifier concatenated in A. I've got:

=MID(A1,LEN(B1)+2,???) where ??? is the num_chars that I'm having trouble defining. I thought that by repeating the exercise in column B but using the length of B (+2) as a starting point, the formula would count the next two identifiers- but thus far I've only been able to get that to literally count the length of B (+2) as the number of characters. This is an issue because the unique identifiers will not all be a consistent number of characters.

I'm hoping someone smarter than myself can point me in the right direction. Any thoughts/comments would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Jonathan

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Test for Multiple Conditions in IF?
Use AND(test, test, test, test) or OR(test, test, test, ...) as the logical_test argument of IF.
Third identifier:

=LEFT(MID(MID(A1,FIND(",",A1)+1,LEN(A1)),FIND(",",MID(A1,FIND(",",A1)+1,LEN(A1)))+1,LEN(A1)),FIND(",",MID(MID(A1,FIND(",",A1)+1,LEN(A1)),FIND(",",MID(A1,FIND(",",A1)+1,LEN(A1)))+1,LEN(A1)))-1)

Fourth identifier:

=LEFT(MID(MID(MID(A1,FIND(",",A1)+1,LEN(A1)),FIND(",",MID(A1,FIND(",",A1)+1,LEN(A1)))+1,LEN(A1)),FIND(",",MID(MID(A1,FIND(",",A1)+1,LEN(A1)),FIND(",",MID(A1,FIND(",",A1)+1,LEN(A1)))+1,LEN(A1)))+1,LEN(A1)),FIND(",",MID(MID(MID(A1,FIND(",",A1)+1,LEN(A1)),FIND(",",MID(A1,FIND(",",A1)+1,LEN(A1)))+1,LEN(A1)),FIND(",",MID(MID(A1,FIND(",",A1)+1,LEN(A1)),FIND(",",MID(A1,FIND(",",A1)+1,LEN(A1)))+1,LEN(A1)))+1,LEN(A1)))-1)

Not pretty, but it should work.

Upvote 0
mjbeam- thanks for the reply. I may not have been clear enough in my original description- I'm looking for a concatenation of the second and third value. Obviously I could accomplish that by concatenating the two formulas you provided, but I had in mind scalability- being able to capture a MID range by identifying (in concept) =MID(A1,LEN(B1)+2,???) where ??? is a count of the LEN of the third and fourth identifier...so that I could adjust that formula to return a segment of the concatenation in A1 based on the quantity of identifiers to return following the number returned in B1 as a starting point. In the end I need:

A: 01,02,03,04,05
B: 01,02
C: 03,04 (based on a quantity of 2 identifiers, in continuation of the number of identifiers in B1 within A1)

I don't mind that the formulas you provided are lengthy- they both work exactly how they should. Thank you again for your help.

Upvote 0
In tinkering with this and discussing it with a colleague I solved this for the convoluted purpose of the exercise I defined:

=LEFT(MID(A1,LEN(B1)+2,9000),FIND(CHAR(1),SUBSTITUTE(MID(A1,LEN(B1)+2,9000)&",",",",CHAR(1),2))-1)

Where the 2 towards the end will return the number of identifiers. Entering this as is will return 03,04 where replacing 2 with 3 will return 03,04,05.

Thanks again for your help mjbeam.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mytux

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back