Cell coordinates for next non-blank cell in a column

TheDave

Good grief, this shouldn't be as hard as it's been for me. I'm just not as well-versed with the INDEX/MATCH stuff, so I'm stuck with the syntax here.

Got a column with a bunch of dropdown menus, data validation already set up there and all that. I need cells in a separate column to give me the cell coordinates (CELL, address) for all the non-blank dropdown menus. I don't want the values, just the coordinates.

So for instance, B2:B81 has dropdown menus (all independent of each other). If I select values for, let's say, B12, B25, and B48, I want my formula in column K to return (in different cells - the below results would be in K2, K3, and K4 respectively)

$B$12
$B$25
$B$48

I'm pretty sure I just need the right combination of CELL and MATCH, with some FALSE,ISBLANK in there, but I'm stuck. Any ideas?

Excel Facts

Is there a shortcut key for strikethrough?
Ctrl+S is used for Save. Ctrl+5 is used for Strikethrough. Why Ctrl+5? When you use hashmarks to count |||| is 4, strike through to mean 5.
Well...I have one idea. let's try this. I have a DataValidation list that includes blanks. The dropdowns that refer to that list are in A4:A14. The formula reports (all in one cell, assuming you have Excel2106) all the addresses that are non-blank in the reference A4:A14.

ABC
2A4, A7, A10, A13

<colgroup><col style="width: 25pxpx"><col><col><col></colgroup><thead>
</thead><tbody>
</tbody>
Sheet50

Array Formulas
CellFormula
C2{=TEXTJOIN(", ",1,SUBSTITUTE(ADDRESS(1,COLUMN(A4),4),1,"")&AGGREGATE(15,6,ROW(A4:A14)/(A4:A14<>""),ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&COUNTA(A4:A14)))))}

<thead>
</thead><tbody>
</tbody>
Entered with Ctrl+Shift+Enter. If entered correctly, Excel will surround with curly braces {}.
Note: Do not try and enter the {} manually yourself

<tbody>
</tbody>

Upvote 0
DRSteele - thank you for your idea! I'm not sure I followed what the various numbers (by themselves) represented, so I'm not 100% sure how to modify the formula to fit my needs. I can switch the ranges around, no problem. But what about the 1s, 4, 15, and 6? Also, I'd love to get the cell references ultimately in cells by themselves. I suppose I can handle that with a different formula, delineating by comma as necessary.

Upvote 0
You're welcome.

Those numerals are the arguments in their various Functions. The 15 inside AGGREGATE means 'use the small operation' and the 6 means 'ignore errors' (which I intentionally created to filter out the blank rows). The 1 inside ADDRESS means use Row 1 (which is as good as any) and the COLUMN part reports the column of cell A4. The 1 in SUBSTITUTE means replace the 1 that ADDRESS created with a blank, thereby reporting column "A". Combine that column "A" with the AGGREGATE thing and you get the non-blank addresses in the relevant range. TEXTJOIN ignores blanks(that's the 1 inside it) and joins all the relevant cells together with a comma.

If you don't want the answers all in one cell, you'll have to predict how many cells will be non-blank and then populate a section of the spreadsheet with a formula in each of those rows. I put this forumla (that uses expanding ranges) into cell D4 and copied it down far enough to capture what I predicted to be an adequate number of rows or farther(here it was four, as shown in D3).

CD
3non-blanks4
4A4
5A7
6A10
7A13

<colgroup><col style="width: 25pxpx"><col><col></colgroup><thead>
</thead><tbody>
</tbody>
Sheet50

Worksheet Formulas
CellFormula
D3=COUNTA($A$4:$A$14)
D4=IF(ROWS($D$4:D4)>$D$3,"",SUBSTITUTE(ADDRESS(1,COLUMN(A4),4),1,"")&AGGREGATE(15,6,ROW($A$4:$A$14)/($A$4:$A$14<>""),ROWS($D$4:D4)))

<thead>
</thead><tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>

Upvote 0
Can you use something like this =concatenate(address({4,7,10,13},{1,1,1,},4,1(&" "). Before you hit enter, you need to highlight .....address(.......... all of the formula except the last ) in the formula. Hit F9. Remove both { and }. Hit enter.

0.622A4 A7 A10 A13

<colgroup><col><col><col></colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
malcolmlyle

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back