CF issue, 2 cells contain formulas, can't highlight if equal?

fkoehler

Hi All, I've done my due diligence and searched the forum before asking, however no luck.

I have 2 cells (B5/B6) which count different columns.
I want to compare their values, and if equal highlight $A$6:$B$6

No matter how I've written the comparison formula ie. =B5=B6, =$B5=$B6, etc, it either does not work, or it highlights but then doesn't de-highlight when I change B5 or B6 to not be equal.

I've confirmed both B5/B6 are Type 1, and have tried encapsulating both B5/B6 Formulas inside Value(), no change.

Here is what my .xls looks like in brief:

A B ( BFormula) ( B Field Type)
5 #Requests 55 =SUMPRODUCT(1/COUNTIF(E1:E2000,E1:E2000&"")) -2 1
6 #Validated 55 =COUNTA(S2:S2000) 1

Current Conditional Format on B6 is:
=$B5=$B6 -Change bkgd color to green. No workee.

Can't remember how I got a similar issue working in the past.
What I want is for A6 & B6 to be highlighted when B5 & B6 are equal.

Oddly enough, if I CF with =$B5, it will highlight B6, but when I make B6 <> B5, B6 shows 54, but stays highlighted....

This is Excel 2013/Win8.1- Fresh install with no addons.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Excel Facts

Lock one reference in a formula
Need 1 part of a formula to always point to the same range? use $ signs: $V$2:$Z$99 will always point to V2:Z99, even after copying
OK, I've never been unable to find an Edit button before. Sorry for the scambling.

Hi All, I've done my due diligence and searched the forum before asking, however no luck.

I have 2 cells (B5/B6) which count different columns.
I want to compare their values, and if equal highlight $A$6:$B$6

No matter how I've written the comparison formula ie. =B5=B6, =$B5=$B6, etc, it either does not work, or it highlights but then doesn't de-highlight when I change B5 or B6 to not be equal.

I've confirmed both B5/B6 are Type 1, and have tried encapsulating both B5/B6 Formulas inside Value(), no change.

Here is what my .xls looks like in brief:

Code:
        A                        B                         ( BFormula)                                                                                                                                                                 ( B Field Type)
5       [URL="https://www.mrexcel.com/forum/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=Requests"]#Requests[/URL]            55                      =SUMPRODUCT(1/COUNTIF(E1:E2000,E1:E2000&"")) -2                         1
6       [URL="https://www.mrexcel.com/forum/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=Validated"]#Validated[/URL]            55                    =COUNTA(S2:S2000)                                                                                                                                         1

Current Conditional Format on B6 is:
=$B5=$B6 -Change bkgd color to green. No workee.

Can't remember how I got a similar issue working in the past.
What I want is for A6 & B6 to be highlighted when B5 & B6 are equal.

Oddly enough, if I CF with =$B5, it will highlight B6, but when I make B6 <> B5, B6 shows 54, but stays highlighted....

Upvote 0
Sorry, let me try reformatting again...

I have B5 and B6 both counting a different column, correctly
B5 and B6 fields are both Type 1

I'd like B6 to be highlighted when B5=B6.

No matter what I've tried, CF of B6 will not reliably highlight it when B5 does equal B6.
B6 CF using formula =$B5, highlights when equal, however when unequal it does not un-highlight.
Doing any other CF doesn't even highlight B6.

.........................A............................B............( B Formula)............................................................................................ ( B Field Type)

5............... #Requests............ 55.............=SUMPRODUCT(1/COUNTIF(E1:E2000,E1:E2000&"")) -2.............. 1
6.............. #Validated..........55.............=COUNTA(S2:S2000)................................................................................. 1

Upvote 0
Hi All,

In the event anyone comes across this mess of a thread and figures out they have a similar issue, I finally figured it out.

A5 formula is using a pretty common Column counter f, here: =SUMPRODUCT(1/COUNTIF(E1:E2000,E1:E2000&"")) -2
As you can see above, it shows as 55.
However, when I moved that formula to another column, and then copied That cell and pasted-by-value back to A5, it was actually show 54.9 or something.
So, I simply rounded up like so: =ROUNDUP(SUMPRODUCT(1/COUNTIF(E1:E2000,E1:E2000&"")) -2,0)
Note- I am -2 because of headers and such.
I am not thrilled that Excel decided to roundup on its own.

I've tried formatting cells as General, Number with 2 decimal places and 0 decimals places. It still showed 55 when not roundedup....

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anshu121

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back