changing data range of a chart from the chart

lezawang

Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi
I created a chart of a data set called Newspapers. I have 4 data. I clicked on the chat and excel highlight the range for me in blue color with 4 boxes on sides so I can change the data set. So I used these 4 boxes - 2 at a time to not include month of Apr data or not including month of Jan data. My question, can I use this method (going to the chart dirctly) to include none conceqative data. For example data for month of Jan,Feb, Apr

It does not seem I can do it. I used CTRL, Alt, etc keys as well but did not help. Thanks a lot.

itemjanmaraprmay
newspaper100200300400
lottery100333444555
drink223333543987

<tbody>
</tbody>

Excel Facts

Create a chart in one keystroke
Select the data and press Alt+F1 to insert a default chart. You can change the default chart to any chart type
Sorry I meant to include month of Jan, Feb and May. not including Apr. Thanks

Upvote 0
Hi
I created a chart of a data set called Newspapers. I have 4 data. I clicked on the chat and excel highlight the range for me in blue color with 4 boxes on sides so I can change the data set. So I used these 4 boxes - 2 at a time to not include month of Apr data or not including month of Jan data. My question, can I use this method (going to the chart dirctly) to include none conceqative data. For example data for month of Jan,Feb, Apr

It does not seem I can do it. I used CTRL, Alt, etc keys as well but did not help. Thanks a lot.

item
jan
mar
apr
may
newspaper
lottery
drink

<tbody>
</tbody>

You can edit your data series directly in the chart by changing the cell references in the series, but you cannot edit the cell values directly in the chart. There are video tutorials on charting on the web if you browse around, you can probably find one that shows how to make data series changes which would explain it much better than I can here.

Upvote 0
Thank you very much. I know how to change the data series, by using Select Data option and others. But what I am looking for is that when I click on the chart then the data series corresponding to that chat will be highlighted. Then i can use the 4 boxes that around that data set to resize so I can exclude data but what I want to do is using the mouse only to select none consecutive cells.

Upvote 0
No, you can't split the source data for a series using the mouse.

Depending on the chart type, hiding the row or column can work to omit data. With hidden columns or rows, you may have to change how Excel handles "Hidden and Empty Cells." You can change that from the "Select Data..." pop-up dialogue box – you get to the settings by clicking the button labeled "Hidden and Empty Cells" in the bottom left corner in that pop-up.

If you want to make a gap to indicate missing data, you can try deleting the cell values. Again, it depends on the chart type. Some chart types will not plot data if the values are replaced with "#N/A".

Very often, to get the chart I want, I have to use a separate, edited data set – a separate, distinct block from the original, complete data set.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HellScout

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back