Changing the format of the date (From text to number)

Liberty Prime

Hi,

sort of recurrent topic, but I would need some help regarding this case.

Because I work with a third party tool that pulls out different reports to be later processed in excel, I'm a bit stuck since they have run a recent update in which they have changed the date format.

Before it was dd.mm.yyyy (dots instead of dash or slash for Germany), but now the data that is coming out is "Jul 4, 2018" and this format can't be changed. My attempt to rearrange and combine them together with the following formula did not work:

=DATE(right(A2,4),mid(A2,4,2),left(A2,3)))

Maybe I need to tell excel that Jul is for July to be assign with the value 4, but I can't figure out how could I make it work with either MONTH or DATEVALUE.

Would you be so kind to help me a bit with this?

Thanks in advance!

Wow, very surprised for the quick response. Thanks to all!

A few things:

- The excel version I'm using is the 2016, from a Windows 10 machine in German (for the regional settings), but English in display/working language.
- The formula from Steve the fish =0+REPLACE(REPLACE(A1,FIND(",",A1),0,LEFT(A1,FIND(" ",A1))),1,FIND(" ",A1),"") works well! I get a number that only needs to be converted to date (but in this case, as easy as selecting the right format from the dropdown menu)
- The formula from Dave Patton
=DATE(RIGHT(B5,4),MONTH(("1"&LEFT(B5,3))),MID(B5,FIND(",",B5)-2,2)) work as well ;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Links? Where??
If Excel says you have links but you can't find them, go to Formulas, Name Manager. Look for old links to dead workbooks & delete.
Language and region agnostic but tied specifically to this date format:

Book1
AB
1Jul 4, 201804/07/2018
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
B1=DATE(RIGHT($A1,4)+0,MATCH(LEFT(A1,3),{"Jan","Feb","Mar","Apr","May","Jun","Jul","Aug","Sep","Oct","Nov","Dec"},0),MID($A1,5,FIND(",",A1)-5)+0)

:D

WBD

Last edited:
Upvote 0
A few things:

- The excel version I'm using is the 2016, from a Windows 10 machine in German (for the regional settings), but English in display/working language.
- The formula from Steve the fish =0+REPLACE(REPLACE(A1,FIND(",",A1),0,LEFT(A1,FIND(" ",A1))),1,FIND(" ",A1),"") works well! I get a number that only needs to be converted to date (but in this case, as easy as selecting the right format from the dropdown menu)
- The formula from Dave Patton
=DATE(RIGHT(B5,4),MONTH(("1"&LEFT(B5,3))),MID(B5,FIND(",",B5)-2,2)) work as well ;)
I'm not sure if you are implying that all the other suggestions failed?
In any case, here is a shorter one that works for me

=DATEVALUE(MID(SUBSTITUTE(A2,",",LEFT(A2,3)),5,10))

Upvote 0
Some of them failed, yes. Others (i.e. the case of the many ones from Dave Patton), I pick the one that fits the better to my taste and worked. The one that you have just posted worked too.

It seems that if there is any other guy with the same issue, he will have plenty of ways to solve the problem :P

Upvote 0
Hi, it's me again :ROFLMAO:

Because of an update in the way that Google Ads displays the dates in its reports, I need to come back to this topic to do my job, otherwise I'm stuck... I would need to change this type of date format (German ISO):

dd.mm.yy

To this one (the one that Google Sheets uses)

mm/dd/yyyy

-----

PS: At the end I figured it out. This was the solution:

=DATE(RIGHT(TEXT(E4,"MM/DD/YYYY"),2)+100,MID(TEXT(E4,"MM/DD/YYYY"),4,2),LEFT(TEXT(E4,"MM/DD/YYYY"),2))

Last edited:
Upvote 0
So you need to change it to a genuine date and the machine settings will take care of the format? See what this does:

=DATE(20&RIGHT(A1,2),MID(A1,4,2),LEFT(A1,2))

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Excel Master

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back