Chart failure

denisaf

I am using Excel 2010 on a Windows 7 pc. I have successfully generated numerous scatter charts from x and y columns of values in the spreadsheet whan the last row is at 3323. However, when I expand the list of values being plotted to 3833 (to bring it up to date), the x values that repeat as the y values are the same are plotted to give a false presentation of the relation between the development of the x,y relation. Over 3000 points are plotted rather than relevant 80 pairs.

Excel Facts

Shade all formula cells
To shade all formula cells: Home, Find & Select, Formulas to select all formulas. Then apply a light fill color.
" the x values that repeat as the y values are the same are plotted "

please check for typos and try to be clearer

Upvote 0
" the x values that repeat as the y values are the same are plotted "

please check for typos and try to be clearer

The spreadsheet is recording progressive counts of outcomes in events in a series of matches. The x column is incremented if the event occurs in a match. The y column is incremented if the event is a win. So x and y values are constant for those matches when the event does not occur.

Upvote 0
match is an excel function but you now mention a win so we have some, say, football match scores.

Show us say 10 rows of historic data and then some new data and how you want that data to be analysed and reported

where is the basic match data?

Upvote 0
Here is a sample
x y
3-0.79
3-0.79
4-10.69

<colgroup><col style="width:48pt" span="2" width="64"> </colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>
The chart with plots of rows 554 to 3323 provides 80 points representing the out when both x and y vary from the previous row. When I change 3323 to 3383 so as to include the latest results 2829 points are plotted with sequences of constant y values. That is, the column of x values are no longer being used as they are replaced by a row count.

Upvote 0
I am still very unclear about this. Do you only want to plot X and Y when both are different from the previous pair ? You are only adding 60 rows but when you do an additional 2749 points are plotted - is this correct ?

Upvote 0
To clarify, there are 3330 pairs going from row 54 to row 3383. I have now determined that the plot is correct if I request a plot of rows 54 to 3363 (it was 3323 in my previous posts). In these correct plots, a point is plotted whenever x increments by one to register that a selection was made in that match. No selection, no point. when working correctly, 80 points show that there were 80 selections in the 3310 matches. If I change the chart to get the pairs from 54 to 3383, it no longer plots the 80 x values but uses the row values so there are 3350 points.

Upvote 0
There will be 3310 points if you are plotting 3310 rows, but those with the same xy values will overlap. Are you saying that the x axis scale changes when you plot more rows? I can't reproduce that in Excel 2010.

Upvote 0
Sorry I am giving up on this one as I still do not have the faintest idea what you are trying to do.

Upvote 0
As there are 80 x y pairs, the x axis goes from 0 to 100 when rows 54 to 3363 are specified and the plot is correct. When rows 54 to 3383 are specified, the x axis goes from 0 to 4000 and the plot is incorrect.
This spreadsheet originated with an earlier version of Excel but I am using Excel 2010 now.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nzskater

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back