Chart plotting x-axis with irregular intervals

AlmostSmart

Hopefully I have provided a title that will help capture the proper audience and response. I have a set of data that represents elevations across a transect line. My goal is to produce a line graph that will represent the elevation change along the transect (think about looking at a profile view of a mountain range). The monitoring points along the transect are not equally placed and that is causing me some frustration. Additionally, my data set is ordered (vertically in my case) in a sequence that isn't representative of the condition in the real world. For example the first row and the second row coincidentally represent the 1st and 2nd locations on the transect line, but the 3rd transect point is actually found in the 6th row of the data set.

Currently my data points are positioned at equal distance along the x-axis and their order in the chart (L to R) mirrors their order vertically within the dataset (top to Bottom).

How can I use a column in the dataset to determine the point placement along the x-axis?

I'm happy to be referred to an online reference where I can do some reading. I have just had some difficulty finding the proper search word to locate anything helpful.

Thanks

Excel Facts

Round to nearest half hour?
Use =MROUND(A2,"0:30") to round to nearest half hour. Use =CEILING(A2,"0:30") to round to next half hour.
Hi
Welcome to the board

When posting about charts always post the chart type and your excel version.

In this case, you want X values at irregular intervals. Maybe you are using a line chart (wrong)?

You should be using a scatter chart. Is this your chart type?

Upvote 0
I agree, X Y scatter chart is the way to go here, and just in case the title puts you off, the scattered points can be joined by a line.

Upvote 0
Yes I am currently attempting to use the Scatter Chart type. I am using Office 365.

Hi
Welcome to the board

When posting about charts always post the chart type and your excel version.

In this case, you want X values at irregular intervals. Maybe you are using a line chart (wrong)?

You should be using a scatter chart. Is this your chart type?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mr_ordinaryboy

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back