Charting data - formatting x-axis

RICKDM

I am trying to develop a x-y scatter plot for a set of data. I have created the chart. In column S beginning in cell 2, I have the values I want on my x-axis. These values are in the following form: Date_time frame. For instance, S2 contains 6/13/2011 8AM-10AM, S3 contains 6/13/2011 10AM-12PM, S3 contains 6/13/2011 12PM-2PM, S4 contains 6/13/2011 2PM-4PM. S5 starts a new day (6/15/2011 8AM-10AM), and so on. When I try to chart this, the x-axis has numerical values 1,2,3,4 and so on instead of the time stamp. I've formatted the cells in column S to "text". How do I getthe time stamp to show up on the x-axis?

Thanks

Excel Facts

Format cells as date
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+3 to format cells as date. (Shift 3 is the # sign which sort of looks like a small calendar).
Scatter plots need numerical values on the x axis, but line charts work with text/labels on the x axis.

As such, try using a line chart instead (once it's drawn, you can right click on the series, go to format data series, and select "none" in the line section to hide the line that's connecting the data points).

Upvote 0
For an XY chart, you can also add new data series where the series name=your date/time stamps and the Y=0 X=where you want them. After adding them as unique series, you can add data labels for those unique points and change the label=series name. Remove the original X Axis.

This basically plots a label series at a Zero Height where you want the labels for your xaxis.

This is visual fakeout/substitution for your original xaxis.

Steve=True
www.exceldashboardtemplates.com

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
grifaz

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back