Check if cell value is present in another worksheet, True False, conditional format, anything!

Island Gryl

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
The task seems simple enough, but I am having trouble identifying the correct approach and would like suggestions as to what function to use.

I have two data sets with one criteria I want to check against each other (they both contain order numbers and I want to locate the when an order number is not present).

Seems vlookup is not the right approach because the column the data is in, is not the first one (I'm getting #N/A and have tried cleaning the data and converting it to number format). (one dataset arrives with #12345 and the other with 12345, I used text to columns to get rid of the #, still no go) which leads me to believe it must be that the columns being compared are in column AA and G respectively.

I can't find an example of Index/Match that fits the situation, or conditional formating....

If Vlookup were to work, this is what the formula would be (I think).
'=VLOOKUP(AA2,'A2X February'!A2:G523,7,FALSE) (I think the 7, the column index number references the column # in the able Array)

I'm getting #N/A for results

hope someone finds this one easy!!
Much appreciated!

Janice

Excel Facts

Pivot Table Drill Down
Double-click any number in a pivot table to create a new report showing all detail rows that make up that number
Could you provide a sample of your data for both sheets using the XL2BB add in, or alternatively, share your file via Dropbox, Google Drive or similar file sharing platform?

Upvote 0
Hi Kevin:

I got this to work, not sure what piece I was getting wrong or... , but this now gives me the result of the number being matched in the results field when it finds the match.

=VLOOKUP(C2, 'A2X February'!$C$2:$C$523, 1, FALSE)

Do you know if it is possible to use a formula like this in conditional formating?

Upvote 0
Do you know if it is possible to use a formula like this in conditional formating?
Formulas in CF are usually based on returning a True/False result. If you can share your sheets/file as requested in post #2 I can show you how.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nmaske

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back