Circular Reference that i cant find

SteveK_LA

I have an excel file in 2003, that when i open says there is a circular reference. I have been unable to locate this, I have checked each sheet for errors, checked any hidden sheet and also unhidden any columns and rows.

Even stranger, when i open this within Excel 2007, the error message does not appear.

I have tried saving from excel 2007 as an excel 2003 workbook, and it appears again.

Unfortunately, most of the community i will be sending this out to only have Excel 2003, so i cant send out the new version. Has anyone come across this before - i am completely confused!!:confused:

Excel Facts

What do {} around a formula in the formula bar mean?
{Formula} means the formula was entered using Ctrl+Shift+Enter signifying an old-style array formula.
Taken from Microsoft Site

1. If the Circular Reference toolbar (toolbar: A bar with buttons and options that you use to carry out commands. To display a toolbar, press ALT and then SHIFT+F10.) is not displayed, click Customize on the Tools menu, click the Toolbars tab, and then select the Circular Reference check box.
  2. On the Circular Reference toolbar, click the first cell in the Navigate Circular Reference box.
  3. Review the formula in the cell. If you cannot determine whether the cell is the cause of the circular reference, click the next cell in the Navigate Circular Reference box.
Note The status bar displays the word "Circular," followed by a reference to one of the cells contained in the circular reference. If the word "Circular" appears without a cell reference, the active worksheet does not contain the circular reference.
  1. Continue to review and correct the circular reference until the status bar no longer displays the word "Circular."
Hope that helps you find it!
Jamie

Upvote 0
Hi Jamie,

Thanks for the reply - Most helpful - for some reason, i had the "error checking" toolbar up by mistake and it wasnt finding them, i had not got the Circular Reference toolbar up.

:)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinneytwin

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back