click enter after each cell

kizzie37

Office Version
  1. 365
I have a bunch of numbers that need to be formatted as phone numbers (i.e. xxx-xxx-xxxx) I'm using the Format cells- special- phone number, but it wont convert the number to a phone number until I click enter in each cell. Since I have 200 plus numbers/cells in 3 columns, its taking too long by hnd.

I tired data-text to columns, but that does not work, is there another way?

Excel Facts

Excel Can Read to You
Customize Quick Access Toolbar. From All Commands, add Speak Cells or Speak Cells on Enter to QAT. Select cells. Press Speak Cells.
Can't you just select the whole column and apply the format?

Upvote 0
Select Your Range Of Cells, Click [Home], In the [Number] section, Click [Dropdown Menus Where It Says General], Click [More Number Formats], In the [Number] section, Click [Custom], Delete everything that is in the [Type:] Box, Insert [###-###-####], Click [OK].

Upvote 0
Select Your Range Of Cells, Click [Home], In the [Number] section, Click [Dropdown Menus Where It Says General], Click [More Number Formats], In the [Number] section, Click [Custom], Delete everything that is in the [Type:] Box, Insert [###-###-####], Click [OK].
I just selected the column as I said and invoked the format dialog. I have used ctrl+1 for many years since that works no matter where M$ puts access to the darn thing. Then selected Phone from the special option. That's it.

Upvote 0
I just selected the column as I said and invoked the format dialog. I have used ctrl+1 for many years since that works no matter where M$ puts access to the darn thing. Then selected Phone from the special option. That's it.
That's really quick! I think they are looking for a different format than the phone number one on there. I might be wrong in that they are only looking for the phone number format in general.

Upvote 0
I tried this and nothing happened, again the number remained as a 10 digit number until I clicked into the cell and pressed "enter". Same issue as with the other option "Special and then phone Number"

Upvote 0
As I mentioned that doesn't work until I go back into the cell and hit "enter" then it does change, but I have over 200 cells and 3 columns of 200 cells and don't have time to hit enter in every cell

Upvote 0
You might have Calculation Set to Manual. If you go to [Formulas], Click [Calculation Options], if it says "Manual", Switch that to Automatic.

Upvote 0
Format the cells.
Copy the Cells.
Paste Special-Values to apply the new formatting.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mario BR

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back