Coauthored/shared workbooks?

imnotgoodatexcelyet

Office Version
  1. 2019
Platform
  1. Windows
Good morning everybody,

I am trying to set up a document that is shared by 3 users. I need the document to be present on all 3 user's OneDrives so that when we make a change to our individual version, all 3 versions will reflect the changes. Is this possible? If not, does an idea as to how this could be done?

Excel Facts

Formula for Yesterday
Name Manager, New Name. Yesterday =TODAY()-1. OK. Then, use =YESTERDAY in any cell. Tomorrow could be =TODAY()+1.
You'll likely need to save the file to one person's OneDrive and share the link to it with the other two users.

Upvote 0
You'll likely need to save the file to one person's OneDrive and share the link to it with the other two users.
Yeah we tried this. The link opens to an online version of the document which can sync changes across all 3 users. But for what we're trying to do, we need to be able to save the file to all 3 pc's and still have a synced document - we haven't been able to figure this out

Upvote 0
If you put the file in a specific folder in OneDrive and share that folder to each user, then the user can sync that folder to their PCs...so essentially the file would be available offline. Any time the file is updated, it would save locally and when internet is available again, the changes would sync back to the cloud. Of course, you would have to test this to see if it properly meshes everyone changes...but to me it seems as though there could be change conflicts, ie if the same cell is changed by multiple users.

Upvote 0
If you put the file in a specific folder in OneDrive and share that folder to each user, then the user can sync that folder to their PCs...so essentially the file would be available offline. Any time the file is updated, it would save locally and when internet is available again, the changes would sync back to the cloud. Of course, you would have to test this to see if it properly meshes everyone changes...but to me it seems as though there could be change conflicts, ie if the same cell is changed by multiple users.
How do we sync the folder to our PCs?
Granted, we haven't tried sharing the whole folder, just individual files but I can't imagine the results would be different. We get options to save a copy online, save an ods document, and save a local copy, but all 3 of these options take away the sync

Upvote 0
This link will explain how to sync folders to your PC.
I have all of my files synced. The document was shared from one users OneDrive. I can access it on the online version of OneDrive under "Shared with you" but I can't see it in my OneDrive under file explorer.
Another thing to note, when I make changes by accessing the file from my online OneDrive, the changes do not sync across the other 3 versions of the document.

Upvote 0
As per the link I sent, you will need the OneDrive app installed on your PC. That small app will manage the sync from online to your local pc.

Upvote 0
As per the link I sent, you will need the OneDrive app installed on your PC. That small app will manage the sync from online to your local pc.
I have the app installed and it shows that all of my files are currently being synced
1642692285153.png

Am I doing something wrong there?

Upvote 0
That looks correct. As long as the initial sync has been completed, in explorer you should have 1 or more folders listed above 'This PC'.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mari_mariou

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back