Combo Box help

SJDub

Hey everybody,

I'm new to this forum, so I apologize if this isn't where I should post this question. I'm currently taking an intro to excel class at school, and am stuck on an assignment. I really have no idea what I'm doing wrong, because as far as I can tell, I followed the instructions exactly, so I'd appreciate any help whatsoever.

The problem I'm facing is, when I add the combo box to my workbook, the drop down menu won't work. It literally won't drop down. I've deleted it, and re-done it. I've locked and un-locked it, but no luck.

These are the instructions for this part of the assignment:

"13. Display the Developer tab on the Ribbon and click theData worksheet tab.
14. Draw a combo box control to cover cell F8. Right-click thecontrol to open the Format Control dialog box. Select cellsG8:G11 for the Input range and cell F8 for theCell link (Figure 7-80).
15. Deselect the control and then select Secondfrom it. The linked cell is under the control andhidden from view. "

(I can't figure out how to upload a screen shot of my workbook)

Excel Facts

How to show all formulas in Excel?
Press Ctrl+` to show all formulas. Press it again to toggle back to numbers. The grave accent is often under the tilde on US keyboards.
You are selecting an ActiveX ComboBox, correct? If so, then on the Developer's Tab... did you turn "Design Mode" off (by clicking the Design Mode button so that it is not highlighted)?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi SJDub,

I'd like to help. I actually did the exercise and am unable to reproduce your situation. Nonetheless, here are a few things to watch out for :
- When you are in the Developer tab and use the insert button, make sure to choose the combo box that is under "Form Controls" and not the one from "ActiveX Controls", as those are for linking with macros.
- From the right click Format Control, make sure that the input range reads $G$8:$G$11 and that the cell link reads $F$8 (notice the dollar signs). Also make absolute certain that drop down lines reads 4 (afterall, your range $G$8:$G$11 has four cells).
- You might want (depending on your version of Excel) check that you are not in Design mode. That is also a button in the Developer tab.
- Input data in cells G8, G9, G10, and G11 and test again.

Have a nice day!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sebas8956

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back