Comparing totals via conditional formatting

bh24524

Office Version
  1. 2021
  2. 2007
Hi, I am looking to utilize conditional formatting to color code a set of totals compared between 2 payroll systems. The one payroll system pays by the minute and will have the format 37:47 for example to show 37 hours and 47 minutes worked that week. The other payroll system rounds to the nearest quarter.

There is a possibility that the overall total could be off anywhere up to .75 hours between the two systems. Here is an example that illustrates that:

Payroll System 1
Let's say an employee works 7 days and every one of those days, he worked 8 hours and 7 minutes. This payroll system since it pays by the minute will ultimately end up with 56:49 or 56.75 hours

Payroll System 2
in the same scenario where the employee works 8 hours and 7 minutes every day, this system since it rounds to quarters is rounding all of these days down to 8 hours each day and ends the whole week with exactly 56 hours

Since discrepancies between the two systems are inevitable, I am looking to utilize the color coding as I mentioned above to compare the totals between both systems. If the totals are within .75 of each other, I want it to color the cell yellow to mean that this one does not need checked because the hours totals are close enough to each other. Be advised that I did use a rounding formula for the payroll system 1 data to convert it to quarters to more easily compare it to payroll system 2.

What formula would I use to do the color coding within .75 of each other? I imagine it is a greater than and less than formula, but I am not sure how that would go.

my data totals that I am comparing for conditional formatting are D2 and S2 if that will help for reference.

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Wildcard in VLOOKUP
Use =VLOOKUP("Apple*" to find apple, Apple, or applesauce

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rosie14

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back