Conditional Data Validation

JBeth

I am trying to have the drop down values of one cell dependent on the selected drop down value of another cell. What I have is:

Cell a1: Value can be either Yes or No
Cell a2: Value can be California, Colorado or Connecticut if a1 is Yes but if it is No then the only allowable values are California or Colorado. I have all 3 of these values in a4:a6. I'm trying to not have to have multiple lists with some of the same values.

I can't believe this isn't possible but I can't figure it out. Am I totally off-base?

Excel Facts

Copy PDF to Excel
Select data in PDF. Paste to Microsoft Word. Copy from Word and paste to Excel.
Hi JBeth - this is definitely possible to do, but you'll need to ensure the order of the 2nd drop down list options are listed in a specific order and will remain consistent, i.e. Yes will always have 3 dependent drop down selections and No will have two (unless you want to adjust the data validation formula).

First, ensure that the second drop-down options in A4:A6 are in this order: California, Colorado, Conneticut

Select the cell that you want your 2nd drop-down list to appear and try the following formula in the 'Source' box in the data-validation dialog box:

=IF($A$1="Yes",OFFSET($A$4,0,0,3,1),OFFSET($A$4,0,0,2,1))

This formula is defining the range of cells that contain values for the 2nd drop down list, stating at A4 as either 3 rows in length or 2 depending on the selection of the first drop-down (with the assumption that this drop-down is in cell A1).

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Excel Master

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back