Conditional Formatting based off criteria in multiple cells (formula based cond form)

tuckerpmission

I am running productivity for my company and would like the productivity numbers to be conditionally formatted based on the values in the cells I am formatting, in addition to value in a second cell. Basically, we have 3 types of employees: Full Time, Part Time, and Per Visit, which would be listed in column A in this example. Their productivity numbers will be in column B.

Below is the criteria I need:
Full timers - green if corresponding productivity in column B is 5+, yellow if between 4-5, and red if below 4. Part timers green if 4+, yellow if between 3-4, and red if below 3. Per visits will be identical to the full timers for the time being, but I could see this changing so would still want a separate formula if necessary.

I created an IF formula in conditional formatting for one specific cell (i.e. =IF($A$2="FULL TIME",$B$2>5) and set format to green fill. The problem is when I pull it down throughout the spreadsheet, it will not adapt to the new cell numbers (i.e. should move to A3/B3 and so on). I also tried with removing the $ signs. This is starting to drive me nuts and I am really overthinking it.

Thx for the help!

Excel Facts

Convert text numbers to real numbers
Select a column containing text numbers. Press Alt+D E F to quickly convert text to numbers. Faster than "Convert to Number"
You will need a few conditions, but if a few are the same (Full Time, Part Time, or Per Visit) then you can combine.

This should get you started.

Green >> =AND($A1="Full Time",$B1>=5)
Yellow >> =AND($A1="Full Time",$B1>=4)
Red >> =AND($A1="Full Time",$B1<4)

For the Full Time and Per Visit which you said can be the same for now

Conditional Formatting
  • Highlight applicable range >> B1:B100
  • Home Tab >> Styles >> Conditional Formatting
  • New Rule >> Use a formula to determine which cells to format
  • Edit the Rule Description: Format values where this formula is true: =AND(OR($A1="Full Time",$A1="Per Visit"),$B1>=5)
  • Format… [Number, Font, Border, Fill]
  • OK >> OK

Adjust the applicable range as required

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thank you for the response FryGirl I will try that here in a second. Is there anything else I need to do to make this format apply to all cells in column B as opposed to just B1 as shown in your example? Can I pull down and it will auto apply? Thx for the hlep

Upvote 0
Your choice actually in the way you apply to the length of your range, but here are a couple of options.

Highlight the applicable range (example B1:B100) as in the example posted in #2

or

Place the conditional format in B1 and then when done select the format painter on B1 and apply to the additional cells in column B

To me (preference) is seems easier just to highlight the applicable range and then enter your condition. All done in one action.

Just pay attention to the $ signs. They should only be in-front of the column reference, not the row.

$B1 >> Yes

$B$1 >> No

B$1 >> No

Relative And Absolute References In Formulas

Upvote 0
Thank you that has been extremely helpful. For some reason when I selected the entire range first (as you suggested), it would not apply to that but only to the first one. So I updated the top cell and then double clicked to pull it down and then when it selected all of the cells that way and I went to add the next condition it applied to all of them... weird.

Another follow up question, is there a way to include all the greens in one formula? In other words, above you showed me how I could include Full time and per visit, was there a way to add the part time criteria in the same formula so I only need one condition for each color?

----

Also, I actually need to have this apply to 5 separate columns for trend purposes (in our example, productivity data would be in B, C, D, E, and F). I am tyring to pull over to those columns but I noticed it is formatting based off data in the initial column so I am creating this conditions for each column... is there an easier way?

Upvote 0
Try this for the green condition which will also work across all the columns and for all three work types

=OR(AND(OR($A1="Full Time",$A1="Per Visit"),B1>=5),AND($A1="Part Time",B1>=4))

In the Applies to part of the Conditional Formatting Rules Manager, put =$B$1:$F$100

Let me know if you need help with the other conditions

Note: Notice I removed the absolute reference from B1 to allow it to cross the additional columns, but the absolute refernce is left on A because it is the requirement for all

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You are a great help I appreciate it. One last follow up question. I forgot to mention that my columns, although adjacent, have hidden columns in between. The only thing I need to work out for this is what to put in the 'apply to' part. Lets say the columns are B, AB, BC, and CD. Would I put =$B:$B, $AB:$AB, $BC:$BC, $CD:$CD (?)

Thanks again!

Upvote 0
Yes, that should work.

I don't place anything in the Applies to box itself; rather, in the box type an equal sing and then click on the first column, type in a comma and repeat for as many column as required.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kristinh

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back