Conditional Formatting: Works in Excel 2003, Not in 2007

echoniner

I have a file that basically lists tasks, one per row, with lots of stuff about each task. In Column B, there is a drop-down list from which you can select "Completed" among other things. The conditional format turns the entire row to a gray font if this column B item for that row is selected to "Completed". Now it works great in Excel 2003, but it is buggy in Excel 2007. In 2007, it turns the cell in Column B gray font, but the other cells don't turn gray unless I select them with the mouse. They don't change automatically. Any ideas?

Excel Facts

Select a hidden cell
Somehide hide payroll data in column G? Press F5. Type G1. Enter. Look in formula bar while you arrow down through G.
echoniner

Welcome to the MrExcel board!

Not too sure about what this issue is, and I haven't yet tried to re-create it, but let's collect a little bit more information.

Can you confirm that your Conditional Formatting is something like ..
Formula is: =$B2="Completed"
If not tell us more about it.

Are there any other Conditional Format conditions on any of the cells?

Upvote 0
Indeed, =$B2="Completed" is the formula. It was actually =OR($B2="Completed", $B2="Removed") for tasks that were removed without completion but I wanted to keep in the sheet, but I simplified it to $B2="Completed" for troubleshooting, and the results were the same. I don't have any other conditional formatting on the rest of the row.

Thanks again for your response!

Upvote 0
Here's a demo I recreated of it, almost identical, but I'm not at work where it is so its close. I built this, as I did the one at work, on Excel 2003. I haven't tested this new replica on Excel 2007 to insure it exhibits the same bugs, as I don't have Excel 2007 at home, but suspect it is a near-perfect replica and so will exhibit the bugs. I'll check this at work tomorrow to insure it does in fact exhibit the bugs, but hope you can take a look at it before then.

The demo is at http://www.savefile.com/files/1963260

Upvote 0
echoniner

I did download your file, and the Conditional Formatting works perfectly in both Excel 2002 and Excel 2007. In both versions I changed the column B values to/from Completed and all columns turned grey/black font as expected.

Unfortunately, I can't think of what might be different with your Excel 2007 to cause it to not work correctly. :(

Upvote 0
Yeah, and sure enough, the example I made above works for me too when I took it to work to test on Office 2007. I don't get it, as it matches the format I have at work. I'll toy with it and return here if I have anything more concrete to ask. Thank you however for your assistance.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MoonDancer

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back