Conditional formatting

jackdiamond

Board Regular
Hello,

I have this formula in a cell =IF('IAN COLLINS'!J$22<=0,LOOKUP('IAN COLLINS'!J$6,{0,0.1,0.51},{"","1/2","1"}),"S")

When the cell shows an "S", can I do a conditional format to show the cell red?

thanks for any help
Stu

You told me you entered 1/2 and it got converted to a date. I assume you corrected that, but I don't know how. Try using the OP's original formula.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Quick Sum
Select a range of cells. The total appears in bottom right of Excel screen. Right-click total to add Max, Min, Count, Average.
OK, I guess I would need to explain from scratch.

I enter the value "1/2" (without quotes) in cell A1 (cell A1 is conditionally formatted with the above formula). The moment I enter, the conditional format fails (it means the cell does not display the selected conditional format pattern) and the value is converted into a DATE.

Besides, in all due respect, I do not expect that you must post a response. Leave it & let go incase you feel I am bugging you with my probing of questions.

Thanks for your help though :biggrin: Atleast you made me realize there is something wrong in Excel on my end !

Upvote 0
The OP's formula returns "1/2" as text, hence the conditional formatting works and the COUNTIF should work. If you formatted your cell as Text and then entered 1/2 manually, that should work too (for both).

Upvote 0
So ? Rory, I told exactly the same thing above. Now, that the formula returns 1/2 as text just because the IF() condition posted in some other thread incorporated by the OP is in a text format ("1/2"). The cell should be formatted as "TEXT" manually or through a formula and it is doing through a formula at the moment in order for the Conditional Format to work.

It was my mistake that I did not convert the format of that cell on my end to "TEXT" the first time I tested it on my end - I realize this and the second time I format the cell as "Text" and it finally worked - Pheeww :rolleyes:

Thanks for your understanding and now I am out of confusion. Rory, you were the one who confused the heck out of me on this petty problem, I wont forget that :biggrin:

Upvote 0
The cell is not formatted by the formula.
The point of this thread was to solve the OP's problem, which we have done; the only confusion arose out of your insistence that the cell had to be formatted as Text, which it did not. Hence, I cannot truly take the credit for your confusion. I stand by my original PICNIC comment. :)

Upvote 0
Yes (but that does not change the cell format)

Upvote 0
Yeah, exactly.

I had no formula plonked into my worksheet as the OP did hence there was no possibility that any formula would return a value in the cell where I am testing the conditional format at my end. I had to manually enter the value 1/2 which inturn got converted into a Date. The second time I formatted the cell (just because the problem at my end of the value getting converted) as text and it worked well.

I expect you to realize this and take back your silly comment. It was not funny :LOL:

Upvote 0
I realize all of that (as I already said) so my comment stands - there is nothing wrong with your Excel.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bsb1122

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back