tommymac1965

I'm receiving a spreadsheet from a coworker that has a column of dates, these dates are inconsequential to me. I would like to have a formula that I can plug in that will conditionally format any cell in this column when there is any text in it to automatically convert the text to a simple check mark.

Thank you

Excel Facts

Is there a shortcut key for strikethrough?
Ctrl+S is used for Save. Ctrl+5 is used for Strikethrough. Why Ctrl+5? When you use hashmarks to count |||| is 4, strike through to mean 5.
Welcome to the forum.

I have good news and I have bad news. Conditional formatting will work in your case, but the check mark is an issue.

Coincidentally enough, I was tinkering with this very problem the other day. One of the annoyances with CondFrmt is that the Font cannot be adjusted within the dialogue wizard. The Font Style (like Bold, etc), Underline, Colour and Strikethrough can be set but the Font itself and its Size cannot. This matters because the real checkmark comes from the Font called Wingdings2.

That column of dates is not text (at least, it shouldn't be). Dates are Excel Serial Numbers --- they are not text. In any event, I gather that you want a check mark if there is anything at all in the column. We can fake it one of two ways.

One) 1) Format the entire column or relevant range as font Wingdings2. 2)Select the entire column or relevant range. 3) Invoke the CondFrmt dialogue box and create a new rule based on a formula. 4) Type this in the 'Format values where this is true' box, adjusting of course for your column: =NOT(ISBLANK(A1)) 5) Adjust the Format to this: on the Number tab select Custom and in the 'Type' box put this, including the two double-quotes: "P" and then choose any other formatting you desire. This process will check to see if each cell has anything in it, and if it does the number format that will be applied as an uppercase P,which is the ANSI code for the Wingdings2 character checkmark.

Two) 1) Somewhere irrelevant on the spreadsheet execute the following on the ribbon: Insert | Symbols | Symbol. At the bottom choose Unicode (Hex). At the top choose Font Normal text, choose by gliding Subset Mathematical Operators, click on the square-root symbol, click on Insert, click on Close and press the Enter key. This will put the symbol on the spreadsheet. Right-click copy. This is the symbol for square-root that resides within the character set for a normal font, probably Calibri or Arial for you. 2) Leave the entire column or relevant range as-is regarding the font. 3) Select the entire column or relevant range. 4) Invoke the CondFrmt dialogue box and create a new rule based on a formula. 5) Type this in the 'Format values where this is true' box, adjusting of course for your column: =NOT(ISBLANK(A1)) Adjust the Format to this: on the Number tab select Custom and in the 'Type' box put this: then paste then [it should look like this “√”]. Then choose any other formatting you desire. This process will check to see if each cell has anything in it, and if it does the number format that will be applied is a square-root symbol, which looks close enough to a check-mark to fake it, especially made bold and italics.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I guess a third way (and immensely simpler way) is to use the icon sets included in the CondFrmt operations. Just make the Green checkmark for >=0 Number, set both the yellow exclamation and the red X to No Icon, and select Show Icon only. Duh. Talk about gilding the lily!

Upvote 0
Well, I try to select No Icon for the Yellow icon and the Red icon and Excel crashes. What gives?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The problem has been rectified. Excel no longer crashes. I discovered so when I used the Excel Template "Inventory list with re-order highlighting," which uses a single flag for re-order time.

ExcelIsFun on youtube did a terrific set of videos on this topic. There are five videos, starting with: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYXdktMy56s&t=4s

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Excel Master

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back