Conditional Lookup on Unsorted Data

Aaron.B

Board Regular
Hello, <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

I came up with this one off the cuff and wondered if there was a different way. Here are the pertinent details. <o:p></o:p>
  • I have unsorted data.
  • Column E-I are performing the same lookup using a different methods and sources. If they have "Unknown”, the lookup failed.<o:p></o:p>
  • All successful lookups in E-I will result in the same data. <o:p></o:p>
  • Column J is just looking for the first non-"Unknown" value and taking it, as any other successful lookup will be the same data. <o:p></o:p>
  • The formula in column J is:
    Code:
    {IFERROR(INDEX(E2:I2,MATCH(1,--(E2:I2<>"Unknown"),0)),"Unknown")}
    <o:p></o:p>
It felt a little clunky, so I wondered if I was over-complicating it.<o:p></o:p>

Excel Facts

How to total the visible cells?
From the first blank cell below a filtered data set, press Alt+=. Instead of SUM, you will get SUBTOTAL(9,)
I wonder whether it would be easier to solve the problem if a small extract of the data sheet with formulas is posted. you can used html maker available in this newsgroup.

Upvote 0
The formula we are discussing would produce the "Account Column". I displayed it in "AccountFormula" so you could see what it would look like in this example.

<table cellspacing="0" border="1" id="ABB777"><tr style="background: #CCCCCC;"><th>SomeDatapoint</th><th>Lookup1</th><th>Lookup2</th><th>Lookup3</th><th>Lookup4</th><th>Account</th><th>AccountFormula</th></tr><tr><td>5tplt4</td><td>Unknown</td><td>Unknown</td><td>Unknown</td><td>SomeAccount2</td><td>SomeAccount2</td><td>{=IFERROR(INDEX(B2:F2,MATCH(1,--(B2:F2<>"Unknown"),0)),"Unknown")}</td></tr><tr style="background: #F5F5F5;"><td>ujuo7xap8</td><td>SomeAccount3</td><td>Unknown</td><td>SomeAccount3</td><td>SomeAccount3</td><td>SomeAccount3</td><td>{=IFERROR(INDEX(B3:F3,MATCH(1,--(B3:F3<>"Unknown"),0)),"Unknown")}</td></tr><tr><td>c392o</td><td>Unknown</td><td>SomeAccount4</td><td>SomeAccount4</td><td>SomeAccount4</td><td>SomeAccount4</td><td>{=IFERROR(INDEX(B4:F4,MATCH(1,--(B4:F4<>"Unknown"),0)),"Unknown")}</td></tr><tr style="background: #F5F5F5;"><td>wb1ard</td><td>SomeAccount5</td><td>SomeAccount5</td><td>SomeAccount5</td><td>Unknown</td><td>SomeAccount5</td><td>{=IFERROR(INDEX(B5:F5,MATCH(1,--(B5:F5<>"Unknown"),0)),"Unknown")}</td></tr><tr><td>h0l7jc8</td><td>SomeAccount6</td><td>SomeAccount6</td><td>Unknown</td><td>Unknown</td><td>SomeAccount6</td><td>{=IFERROR(INDEX(B6:F6,MATCH(1,--(B6:F6<>"Unknown"),0)),"Unknown")}</td></tr><tr style="background: #F5F5F5;"><td>qsofwkor3f</td><td>Unknown</td><td>SomeAccount7</td><td>SomeAccount7</td><td>SomeAccount7</td><td>SomeAccount7</td><td>{=IFERROR(INDEX(B7:F7,MATCH(1,--(B7:F7<>"Unknown"),0)),"Unknown")}</td></tr><tr><td>g8bgysl3</td><td>SomeAccount8</td><td>SomeAccount8</td><td>Unknown</td><td>Unknown</td><td>SomeAccount8</td><td>{=IFERROR(INDEX(B8:F8,MATCH(1,--(B8:F8<>"Unknown"),0)),"Unknown")}</td></tr></table>

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JazzSingerNL

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back