continuous conditional formatting

bite_tony

hi

I have a table inserted into my spread sheet,
I have various conditional formatting rules on it, which depending on whether there is a value (anything written) in a cell in a particular column will turn the whole row a particular colour..

e.g if there is a date in cell A3, then the whole of row 3 will turn green

I was under the understanding that as my information is in a table, every time a new row is added to the table it will apply my conditional formatting to that new row.
However, now, on row 258 of my table I am finding that is not the case
frown.gif

basically I need to know how to word my conditional formatting formula so that it is ongoing.
I don't want to predefine the area the formatting is applied to because the workbook is split into months (one worksheet=one month) and some months there might only be 100 rows of data, but another month there might be four hundred rows of data..

Excel Facts

Format cells as date
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+3 to format cells as date. (Shift 3 is the # sign which sort of looks like a small calendar).
Hi bite_tony,

What version of Excel are you using?
What step(s) are you using to add rows to your table?

When I do what you describe with a table in xl2010, the conditional formatting is automatically applied to the added row.

Upvote 0
hi..thanks for trying to get to the bottom of my problem..i fixed it now!! just thought I would update as to how, so that the thread can be solved..basically my formulas were locked into cells with dollar signs.. so my formula was in $G$2:$G$258 when all it needed was $G2 to keep applying the formatting to 'cell 2' in every row..

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JayEggleton

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back