Convert cell value that has a number and a character to be able to use the number in calcs/graphs

seattletimebandit

Board Regular
Good day all.

I'm working with a bunch of laboratory results that has data qualifiers for results that are not detected and flagged with a "U" data qualifier for "undetected". However, my range of cells has a mix of numbers (detections) and some are numbers with the not detected "U" value. An example of the cells with the number/text value are: "1000 U" or "0.100 U". I want to be able to ignore the "U" to the right of the number then use that number in a graph or calculation. Is it possible to select a range and run some code to do this, even if some cells have only the detected number value?

My other option is to split all the columns using the Data -> Data Tools -> Text to Columns function in the Ribbon which would put the "U" (or blank space if no "U" exists) into the adjacent column, then convert the numbers that are free of the "U" for data calcs, yet maintaining the "U" value for the adjacent cell. BUT, I can only do that one column at a time, and there has to be a blank column to the right, otherwise I would overwrite the data in that adjacent column. Again, I have a macro that inserts a new column every other column, but that's just another step I'm trying to avoid.

Thanks!
stb

Excel Facts

Create a chart in one keystroke
Select the data and press Alt+F1 to insert a default chart. You can change the default chart to any chart type
Code:
Option Explicit

Sub delU()
'Removes any U's from Data in column A
    Dim i As Long, lr As Long
    'Assumes your data is in column A
    lr = Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row
    For i = 1 To lr    'Assumes data starts in first row
        If InStr(Range("A" & i), "U") > 0 Then
            Range("A" & i) = Left(Range("A" & i), Application.WorksheetFunction.Find(" ", Range("A" & i)))
        End If
    Next i
End Sub

Upvote 0
Thanks alansidman,

I can find a lot of uses for your code snippet. However, the one thing I was wondering if this can be done, is there a way to split the column so that the number and "U" are in separate columns? Noting that some cells will only have a number and no "U".

So with several columns of data, the code would first insert a new column to the right of the col with data, then if there is a number and a "U" in the first column move the "U" to the adjacent cell in the new column. The number of columns and rows is variable but this routine would be repeated for all columns.

Currently I insert a column to the right of each column of data (i have a little macro that makes this faster), then I can do the Text to Column from the Ribbon. One column at a time. For small tables not a problem, but for 30+ columns with 600+ rows, this gets onerous.

Or I could use a formula to return the "U" by doing this: =RIGHT(A2,1), pasting this formula adjacent to each cell with a "U". But that is tedious and time consuming and the odds of mistakes is high. So I would need to have code look at the cell: If <> "U" then "" return nothing to adjacent cell , else if = "U" then extract and return "U" into adjacent cell.

stb

<colgroup><col width="64"></colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

Upvote 0
Code:
Sub delU()
'Removes any U's from Data in column A
    Dim i As Long, lr As Long
    'Assumes your data is in column A
    lr = Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row
    Range("B1").EntireColumn.Insert
    For i = 1 To lr    'Assumes data starts in first row
        If InStr(Range("A" & i), "U") > 0 Then
            Range("B" & i) = "U"
            Range("A" & i) = Left(Range("A" & i), Application.WorksheetFunction.Find(" ", Range("A" & i)))
        End If
    Next i
End Sub

Upvote 0
Another option might be to use additional columns to the right of the whole table with formulas like below. For example, if column K might contain "U" values ..
=SUBSTITUTE(K2,"U","")+0
Copy that formula down the length of the table and use that (numerical) column for your graphs. Repeat for other columns that might contain "U"

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yesitisasport

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back