convert character+number string into date

franki

I am trying to extract a character + number combination then turn it into a date.
For example: aa23 = 1/23/2001.
The difficult part is my data is sometimes presented as 11aa23y or LYAA23. The key pattern is always 2 letters followed by 2 numbers. I need to extract that, then convert it using a lookup.
I have searched and searched. I have a lot of experience with excel, but not too in depth so I may not be using the correct terminology in my search.
Any help is appreciated.

Excel Facts

Who is Mr Spreadsheet?
Author John Walkenbach was Mr Spreadsheet until his retirement in June 2019.
This works, albeit my months are different for different products and not all letters are used for years.
Can you explain what you mean by this? Are you saying some of your products use a different set of letters for the months than what you showed us in Message #3 and, perhaps, the same for the years?

In addition, some products use 12 as the 12th day of the month, other products use 21 for 12th day of the month.
:confused: How would they show the 21st then, as 12?

I will research this function to see if I can modify it for my application.
When I developed the original code, all I had to go on was what you posted in Message #3 which gave no hint of the kind of variations you are now suggesting exists among your product designations. I could try to generalize the function for you if you give us details on how the month, day and year designations vary for your various products and also how you know which set of designations to use for each of your products.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wabd

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back