Convert Countifs to Sumproduct

spydey

Office Version
  1. 2013
Platform
  1. Windows
I have a formula in the destination workbook using countifs, it works well .... as long as the source workbook is open, otherwise it fails. I know that countifs doesn't work across closed workbooks.

So I want to convert it to sumproduct, which I know works across closed workbooks. I am having an issue converting it to work as expected.

I think that just an extra set of eyes will help clear any issues up.

Here is my countifs formula, which is being confirmed with CSE.

Code:
=IF(COUNTIFS('SourceWorkbook.xlsx'!Person,$E2,'SourceWorkbook.xlsx'!Location,$E3,'SourceWorkbook.xlsx'!Type,{"*Basketball*","*BBall*"})=0,0,COUNTIFS('SourceWorkbook.xlsx'!Person,$E2,'SourceWorkbook.xlsx'!Location,$E3,'SourceWorkbook.xlsx'!Type,{"*Basketball*","*BBall*"},'SourceWorkbook.xlsx'!Days,">="&0,'SourceWorkbook.xlsx'!Days,"<="&30))

I have converted countifs to sumproduct in the past but I seem to be messing up on something.

This is what I have as my countifs formula from above converted to sumproduct. I am confirming with CSE.

Code:
=IF(SUMPRODUCT(('SourceWorkbook.xlsx'!Person=$E2)*('SourceWorkbook.xlsx'!Location=$E3)*('SourceWorkbook.xlsx'!Type={"*Basketball*","*BBall*"}))=0,0,SUMPRODUCT(('SourceWorkbook.xlsx'!Person=$E2)*('SourceWorkbook.xlsx'!Location=$E3)*('SourceWorkbook.xlsx'!Type={"*Basketball*","*BBall*"})*('SourceWorkbook.xlsx'!Days>=0)*('SourceWorkbook.xlsx'!Days<=30)))

For some reason, I can't get it to work correctly. I don't get the expected output.

Any ideas or thoughts? Did I miss something?

-Spydey

Excel Facts

Waterfall charts in Excel?
Office 365 customers have access to Waterfall charts since late 2016. They were added to Excel 2019.
So after a bit more research, I think that my issue lays in the fact that I am using a wildcard in one of my parameters, eg *Basketball* .... is there anyway around this?

-Spydey

Last edited:
Upvote 0
*BUMP

Any way I can convert from a countifs using wild cards (*), to a sumproduct?

My main two issues are:

1.) Countifs allows me to use wildcards when referencing text, but I cannot use it across workbooks if the source workbook is closed.
2.) Sumproduct allows me to work across workbooks, even if the source workbook is closed, but as I understand it, I cannot use wild cards (*) while using sumproduct.

Any thoughts or ideas on how I can get around this, besides just using countifs and having the source workbook open?

Cheers!

-Spydey

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mm424

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back