Copy and paste does not work if I change a single sheet name within the formula

Roband41

I have a workbook with 2 separate sheets for each month of the year.

Some formulas are long (ex: =IF('SAL FEB 2019'!H12>'SAL FEB 2019'!E7,'SAL FEB 2019'!E7+'SAL FEB 2019'!H12+'SAL FEB 2019'!B7+'SAL FEB 2019'!G12-'SAL FEB 2019'!G3,IF('SAL FEB 2019 '!G12+'SAL FEB 2019'!B7>=0,'SAL FEB 2019'!G12))+'SAL FEB 2019'!I12)

In the above, 'SAL FEB 2019'! refers to Sales February 2019. I need this same formula for the month of March ('SAL MAR 2019 '!)

I thought that using Word to replace FEB by MAR and MAR by APR with “Search and Replace” I could easily create all my formulae’s for the twelve months. But when I copy (from Word) and paste (into Excel), the formula does not work. (Error: Cannot find 'SAL MAR 2019 '!)

I then tried to copy (from Excel) the formula that works in one month (as the complete formula above), paste it in another month and change each month to the following month (EX: changed FEB to MAR). The formula did not work either.

The only way I can get it to work, is to physically link the sheets by selecting the proper cell in the following month’s worksheet, which is not only very tedious but error prone.

I think I could use the INDIRECT function, but it seems too complicated for my level.

Any suggestion as to why:
1- what I am doing (copy and paste from Word to Excel) does not work
2- why copy and paste (from Excel to Excel or Word to Excel) adds a space after each sheet’s name (ex: IF('SAL FEB 2019'! becomes IF('SAL FEB 2019 '!)
3- what could easily solve my problem.

Thanks in advance.

Excel Facts

Easy bullets in Excel
If you have a numeric keypad, press Alt+7 on numeric keypad to type a bullet in Excel.
DON'T use Word to search and Replace, use Search and Replace from inside Excel.

Can you post the file with a full explanation of what you want to do?

You cant attach files on this forum. There are tools on this forum for adding small spreadsheet images

https://www.mrexcel.com/forum/about-board/508133-attachments.html

Or upload the file to an online storage site and post a link to it, though some people may not download the file for fear of viruses.

Upvote 0
Hello Special K99
Thank you for your response.
I have taken the long road and achieved what I wanted, but I am certain that there are easier ways.
Because the file is sensitive, I could not upload it, but I will prepare a shorter workbook that will be simpler but still reflect the problem I had.
I plan to do this in a couple of weeks and hope that you can give me pointers to make my life easier next time.
Thank you.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m_smith_solihull

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back