Copy and paste selected data without duplicates

tmdgus

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
  2. MacOS
Hi, I am new to VBA and need some help with some of the procedures I would like to automate.
I have two excel files to work on - employee and contract data.
Basically, I need to find employees who end their contracts in the current month that I open the file. (For example, if I open the file in August, I need to find employee data who are ending their contract in August). Then, I need to copy the selected data and paste them onto another file, called contract data.

I have completed both identifying and copy+paste, but it doesn't meet some of the requirements I want to apply in my file. I will put my code below.
The code below highlights rows of employee data whose employment contract expires within a month.
VBA Code:
Sub HighlightCalc()
   Dim i As Range
   For Each i In Range("K2:K65565") '// K is the column that contains contract expiry date
      If IsDate(i) Then
         If Month(i) = Month(Now) Then
            Rows(i.Row).Interior.Color = RGB(255,255,91)
            Rows(i.Row).Font.Bold = True
         End If
      End If
   Next i
End Sub

The code below is when I transfer a selected row to another file called Contract Data
VBA Code:
Private Sub CommandButton1_Click()
Dim wb As Workbook
ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("Sheet1").Rows(2).Select    '//Question 1: How do I select rows that I have previously highlighted above?
Selection.Copy

Set wb = Workbooks.Open("file address, didn't put the real address")
wb.Worksheets("Sheet1").Activate
lastrow = ActiveSheet.Cells(Rows.Count, 1).End(xlUp).Row
ActiveSheet.Cells(lastrow + 1, 1).Select
ActiveSheet.Paste.     '//Question 2: Is there any way that I can only copy "new" data and paste them? Every time I run this Macro, the same data is pasted.
'//Any suggestions on copying data to other files without duplicates?
'//Question 3: Can I only copy selected cells and paste them onto the selected places?
ActiveWorkbook.Save
ActiveWorkbook.Close savechanges = True

Set wb = Nothing
ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("Sheet1").Activate
ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("Sheet1").Cells(1,1).Select
Application.CutCopyMode = False

I have included some questions in the code.
To explain them further, when I copy the data from the Employee file to the Contract File, I do not want to copy the exact same data multiple times.
There is a column that I made for a unique identifier(column A), so I guess there might be a way to do this with it, but I am still clueless about how to do so, as I am not familiar with VBA yet.
I also do not know how to select the highlighted data to copy them to the Contract file.
Most importantly, when copying data, I only want some data to be copied, not all. (For example, I want to copy the name of employees and their positions, but not their addresses or phone number).
When pasting data, I want to paste them onto their allocated cell area.

Can anyone please help me with my VBA? I am new to this and need help ASAP :(

Excel Facts

Get help while writing formula
Click the italics "fx" icon to the left of the formula bar to open the Functions Arguments dialog. Help is displayed for each argument.
It would be easier to help if you could use the XL2BB add-in (icon in the menu) to attach a screenshot (not a picture) of your sheet. Alternately, you could upload a copy of your file to a free site such as www.box.com or www.dropbox.com. Once you do that, mark it for 'Sharing' and you will be given a link to the file that you can post here. Explain in detail what you want to do referring to specific cells, rows, columns and sheets using a few examples from your data (de-sensitized if necessary).

Upvote 0
Hi, Thanks for your reply!
Here's the link to my file (I've desensitized my data)
There are three worksheets in the file (staff information, contract full/part time).
I have completed identifying the employee who are ending their contract in the current month from Staff_Info by highlighting and making the data bold.
This macro is available in "Expiring Contract" button on the top of "Staff_Info" sheet.

This is where I need your help. I want to copy and paste the highlighted data from Staff_Info to Contract(Full-Time) worksheet, without any duplicates. But I do not want to copy every data of the employee, but only want column A,B,C,D,F,G,H,I,L to be copied.
I tried to copy and paste the highlighted data from column A with the button "Proceed Contract Data", but it does not seem to work properly. The name of the function is called CommandButton1_Click

I will bulletpoint what I want to achieve to clarify the tasks simpler.
- From the highlighted data in 'Staff_Info' sheet, only copy column A,B,C,D,F,G,H,I,L to 'Contract(Full-Time)' sheet.
- When pasting data to 'Contract(Full-Time)' sheet, paste them in one row.
- I want to make this whole procedure as a button, called "Proceed Contract Data".

Thank you so much for your help and I am looking forward to hearing back from you! :)

Upvote 0
Try:
VBA Code:
Sub CopyData()
    Application.ScreenUpdating = False
    Dim desWS As Worksheet, srcWS As Worksheet
    Set desWS = ThisWorkbook.Sheets("Contract(Full-Time)")
    Set srcWS = ThisWorkbook.Sheets("Staff_Info")
    Dim LastRow As Long, i As Long, header As Range, x As Long
    LastRow = srcWS.Range("L" & srcWS.Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row
    srcWS.Range("A2").CurrentRegion.AutoFilter Field:=12, Criteria1:=xlFilterThisMonth, Operator:=xlFilterDynamic
    With srcWS.Range("A:A,B:B,C:C,D:D,F:F,G:G,H:H,I:I,L:L")
        For i = 1 To .Areas.Count
            x = .Areas(i).Column
            Set header = desWS.Rows(1).Find(.Areas(i).Cells(2), LookIn:=xlValues, lookat:=xlWhole)
            If Not header Is Nothing Then
                Intersect(srcWS.Range(srcWS.Cells(3, x), srcWS.Cells(LastRow, x)), srcWS.AutoFilter.Range).Copy desWS.Cells(desWS.Rows.Count, header.Column).End(xlUp).Offset(1, 0)
            End If
        Next i
    End With
    srcWS.Range("A2").AutoFilter
    Application.ScreenUpdating = True
End Sub

Upvote 0
Thank you soso much for your help!!
It really helped me a lot.
However, I was wondering if you could answer the following questions from your code:
- The columns I mentioned before are copied and pasted perfectly except column L in Sheet1(Staff Info), which is Contract End Date.
May I know how to copy column L of Sheet1(Staff Info) and paste it onto column H and K of Sheet2(Contract Data(Full-Time))?
- This is an advanced feature, but if you see my excel file, there are Contract Data for full time employers and part time employers. Is there any ways where I can only copy and paste the data of full time employees to sheet2(Contract Data(Full-Time)) and the data of part time to sheet3(Contract Data(Part-Time))? Full-time and part-time employees differentiate by the Column G(Contract type) of Sheet1, where "Monthly" contract type is for Full-Time employees and "Hourly", "Daily" for Part-Time employees.

Thank you for your help so far, I really really appreciate it!!
I am looking forward to hearing back from you :)

Upvote 0
Column L of Sheet1(Staff Info) contains the Contract End Date. Sheet2 and Sheet3 contain the Contract End Date in column I. I'm a little confused when you say:
copy column L of Sheet1(Staff Info) and paste it onto column H and K of Sheet2(Contract Data(Full-Time))
Column H in Sheet2 contains Contract Start Date and column K contains Probation Start Date. Do you not want "Monthly" employees copied to column I of Sheet2 and "Hourly" employees copied to column I Sheet3? Please clarify in detail.

Upvote 0
Sorry for making you confused. I will clarify my questions further.
Regarding copying Column L, "Contract End Date" of Sheet 1(Staff Info) to Column H,K, "Contract Start Date" and "Probation Start Date" of Sheet2, Yes, I want to copy contract end date of sheet 1 and copy them onto contract start and probation start date of sheet 2. This is because our team needs to identify staffs who end their contract within a month, then prepare contract to renew employment contract. Sheet 1 contains the current staff data, and Sheet 2 and 3 are for preparing renewal contract of staffs.

About the "monthly" and "hourly" employees, I do want to copy "Monthly" employees who are ending their contract soon to sheet2 and copy "Hourly" and "Daily" employees to sheet3.
Employees who receive salary monthly are full-time staffs, whereas hourly and daily salaries are part-time staffs.
To summarize, if contract type == Monthly, then copy to sheet 2, if contract type == Hourly or Daily, then copy to sheet 3.

Thank you so much for your help again.

Upvote 0
Do you want to copy the Contract End Date (col L) of the monthly employees (col G) to the columns H and K of the Contract(Full-Time) sheet and the Daily and Hourly employees (col G) to the columns H and K of the Contract(Part-Time) sheet?

Upvote 0
Hi, let's put aside this issue first, I have a question about the code you helped me with!
Everything seems to copy and paste well, except the column L of Sheet1, which is Contract End Date.
I tried to identify the reason why it isn't working but still clueless about this issue.
Could you please help me copy column L of Sheet1 and paste the data to column H of Sheet2?
Thank you!

About the issue copying and pasting data onto different sheets based on the contract type, (If contract type is Monthly, paste data to Sheet 2 and if it contract type is either Daily or Hourly, paste data to Sheet3),
I tried to use For and If loops to enable this feature.
However, it doesn't seem like the data is filtered.
I will attach the VBA code I modified. It will be great if you could help me identify why my function does not work!
Here is the current file I have worked on so far. You can only focus on the VBA code under Sheet1(Staff_Info).
VBA Code:
Private Sub CommandButton1_Click()
Application.ScreenUpdating = False
    Dim desWS As Worksheet, desWS2 As Worksheet, srcWS As Worksheet
    Set desWS = ThisWorkbook.Sheets("Contract(Full-Time)")
    Set desWS2 = ThisWorkbook.Sheets("Contract(Part-Time)")
    Set srcWS = ThisWorkbook.Sheets("Staff_Info")
    Dim lastRow As Long, a As Integer, i As Long, header As Range, x As Long
    lastRow = srcWS.Range("L" & srcWS.Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row
    srcWS.Range("A2").CurrentRegion.AutoFilter Field:=12, Criteria1:=xlFilterThisMonth, Operator:=xlFilterDynamic
    For a = 3 To lastRow
    If InStr(1, LCase(srcWS.Range("G" & a)), "monthly") <> 0 Then
                x = .Areas(i).Column
                Set header = desWS.Rows(1).Find(.Areas(i).Cells(2), LookIn:=xlValues, lookat:=xlWhole)
                    Intersect(srcWS.Range(srcWS.Cells(3, x), srcWS.Cells(lastRow, x)), srcWS.AutoFilter.Range).Copy desWS.Cells(desWS.Rows.Count, header.Column).End(xlUp).Offset(1, 0)
                End If
            Next i
        End With
    End If
    If InStr(1, LCase(srcWS.Range("G" & a)), "hourly") <> 0 Then
                x = .Areas(i).Column
                Set header = desWS2.Rows(1).Find(.Areas(i).Cells(2), LookIn:=xlValues, lookat:=xlWhole)
                    Intersect(srcWS.Range(srcWS.Cells(3, x), srcWS.Cells(lastRow, x)), srcWS.AutoFilter.Range).Copy desWS2.Cells(desWS2.Rows.Count, header.Column).End(xlUp).Offset(1, 0)
                End If
            Next i
        End With
    End If
    If InStr(1, LCase(srcWS.Range("G" & a)), "daily") <> 0 Then
                x = .Areas(i).Column
                Set header = desWS2.Rows(1).Find(.Areas(i).Cells(2), LookIn:=xlValues, lookat:=xlWhole)
                    Intersect(srcWS.Range(srcWS.Cells(3, x), srcWS.Cells(lastRow, x)), srcWS.AutoFilter.Range).Copy desWS2.Cells(desWS2.Rows.Count, header.Column).End(xlUp).Offset(1, 0)
                End If
            Next i
        End With
    End If
    Next a
    srcWS.Range("A2").AutoFilter
    Application.ScreenUpdating = True
    desWS.Range("a2:t65565").RemoveDuplicates Columns:=1, header:=xlNo
    desWS2.Range("a2:t65565").RemoveDuplicates Columns:=1, header:=xlNo
End Sub
Thank you so much for your help and I'm looking forward to hearing back from you! Have a great day:)

Upvote 0
Do you want to copy the Contract End Date (col L) of the monthly employees (col G) to the columns H and K of the Contract(Full-Time) sheet and the Daily and Hourly employees (col G) to the columns H and K of the Contract(Part-Time) sheet?
Regarding your question earlier, I want to copy the columns A,B,C,D,F,G,H,I,L of Sheet1 to Sheet 2, only if the contract type(Column G) of Sheet 1 is "Monthly".
I also want to copy the columns A,B,C,D,F,G,H,I,L of Sheet1 to Sheet 3, only if the contract type(Column G) of Sheet 1 is "Daily" or "Hourly".

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bes000

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back