corrupt data appearing in file converted from Excel 2007 to text file

Excel789

I have text files that I need to modify, using formulas, in Excel 2007, and then convert back to text files. I have tried repeatedly to do this, but have found that my files, once saved and reopened, unpredictably contain cells that are surrounded by quotation marks. This does not affect all cells, just some. The quotes are not present in the modified files in Excel before they are saved. They only show up when I reopen (in the Excel environment) the modified and saved-as-text files. I have tried reopening the affected text files in Excel, removing the quotation marks, resaving the text files, and reopening them a second time, but when I do this, the quotation marks reappear.

The quotation marks are a big problem because the revised text files need to be fed into a program that reads each line, and the app seems to ignore the data surrounded by quotes.

I know there's not a lot of detail here about the files or the process. This is because I do not know what sort of information would be relevant or helpful. I will be more than delighted to answer any questions.

Does anyone have any idea of why stray quotes may be appearing and/or anything I can do to prevent this problem?

I would be grateful for any pointers. I have tried everything I can think of to fix this, and nothing seems to work. :(

Excel Facts

What did Pito Salas invent?
Pito Salas, working for Lotus, popularized what would become to be pivot tables. It was released as Lotus Improv in 1989.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taner zz

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back