count account numbers that appear in 2 lists and sum values in different column

glaupie

Hi,

I have a list of account numbers (about 40,000) of people I sent a marketing text message to.

Now, using a transaction extract (showing details like acct # and values) I want to determine which of the people I contacted made a purchase since the message, and the total turnover generated by them.

I've played around with conditional formatting, pasting the list of contacts' account #'s below the list of unique account #'s of those who has made a purchase, then I higlight the duplicates. But that is as far as I get - my computer is VERY slow when using conditional formatting on long lists, so I would prefer a different way of doing this. But if that is the best way, I need to determine the amount of people highlighted in the "purchase" list. almost like a COUNTA(conditionally formatted) formula.

then I need to sum the value of their purchases, which is hard because some people bought more than once.

Any ideas?

So basically I need to count and sum the purchases of anyone who's account number matches any account number in a different list. (Another problem is that some acct #'s are 20 characters long and excel seems to only look at the first 16 digits when looking for duplicates - but that bridge I will cross later.)

Excel Facts

What did Pito Salas invent?
Pito Salas, working for Lotus, popularized what would become to be pivot tables. It was released as Lotus Improv in 1989.
I should have thought thsi through - vLookup takes care of most of my problem.

I now know how many of the contacted account holders transacted - but vLookup only returns the 1st value if an account number appears twice. Any way to get around that?

Thanks,

Upvote 0
glaupie

I would use a Sumif formula in one column, then use Countif formula in another column
then just total them to get your end result.

Thanks
tigs

Upvote 0
Tigs,

I'm afraid I don't follow...

I now have the list of people I contatced, and next to them the amount of their FIRST purchase, or #N/A.

How do I get the total turnover, that includes their 2nd and 3rd purchases?

Upvote 0
Sorry wasnt thinking properly. Dont know why i said you need to total them.

B Column is the amount Column

Code:
=SUMIF(B1:B1000,">0")

Code:
=COUNTIF(B1:B1000,">0")
I assume that you only need a total for the whole marketing list not for each individual account.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mm424

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back