Count of blank cells in a worksheet

Ludwig

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
The answer initially seems simple .. except that COUNTBLANK(C:C) returns a count of the [empty] cells in the column beyond the end of the actual data.

For example, my test worksheet has data in rows 1 thru 25, except for rows 1, 2 & 9 being blank. The formula =COUNTA(C:C) correctly returns 22. Not other columns have data beyond Column 25 - amd if I do Ctrl-End I get positioned on cell Y25, clearly Excel knows there are is more data in any row beyond row 25.

However the formula =COUNTBLANK( C:C ) returns 1048554, not 3 as I expect / want.

The reason I want this is to determine if any data is missing in column C after the heading rows; rows 1-3 are "heading" rows so I want to eliminate them from the check. That is, I want to test that all rows from row 4 to the end have a value. Simple formula for values existing is =COUNTA( C:C ) - COUNTA( C$1:C3 ).

I was hoping counting blanks using =COUNTBLANK( C:C ) - COUNTBLANK( C$1:C3 ) would have given me the answer 1 in this example. I would display this reuslt at the top of the worksheet so I can alert the user to something being wrong if it was > 0.

Sadly COUNTBLANK is not doing it for me. Does anyone know a simple way (ideally not an array formula, & definitely not VBA - needs to work when using Excel Online) to achieve the result I want? I was wondering if SUMPRODUCT could do it but I have no experience with it, yet.

Many thanks.

Excel Facts

Who is Mr Spreadsheet?
Author John Walkenbach was Mr Spreadsheet until his retirement in June 2019.
perhaps =COUNTBLANK($C$4:INDEX(C:C,match(9.9999e307,C:C))) (if cells contain numbers)
Otherwise =COUNTBLANK($C$4:INDEX(C:C,match(rept("Z",255),C:C)))

Upvote 0
Hello,

The sumproduct equivalent of countblank is as follows

Code:
=SUMPRODUCT(--(A1:D6=""))

Main question is your definition of Blank ... :wink:

Upvote 0
arthurbr said:
=COUNTBLANK($C$4:INDEX(C:C,match(rept("Z",255),C:C)))

Thanks, that's works brilliantly! I only need to get my head around the formula .. I understand the principle, gotta lock it in to the brain for future use whenever that turns up ;-}

Is there a version that will count blanks as "BLANK" as well? i.e. how could I count cells where person has enter a space (1 or more) in a cell in the column C:C?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hello,

The sumproduct equivalent of countblank is as follows

Code:
=SUMPRODUCT(--(A1:D6=""))

Main question is your definition of Blank ... :wink:

Thanks, but that has the same problem that COUNTBLANK(C:C) has .. answer is that large number.

Upvote 0
Hello,

Just to clarify ...

Your question was not about CountBlank ...

BUT about How to get the Last Row in Column which contains text ... :wink:

Upvote 0
COUNTBLANK counts cells which are truly blank AND cells containing a null string ("") which is different from a space
You probably will have to add a COUNTIF
=COUNTBLANK($C$4:INDEX(C:C,match(rept("Z",255),C:C)))+COUNTIF($C$4:INDEX(C:C,match(rept("Z",255),C:C))," ")

(there should be something more elegant though...)

Upvote 0
Actually, the bigger picture is "both" getting the last row with text AND counting how many blank/null cells there are in the column.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Motoracer88

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back