COUNTIF using cell reference and wildcard text

medeirad

Hi Everyone,

For our orders there is a large comments field, somewhere in there always the standard text of the date, the person's initials and "PROCESSED ORDER" to signify they processed the order (e.g. "08/14/2017 EAS - PROCESSED ORDER"). There is often un-needed text before and after this so one would need to use a wildcard search.

What's tricky is that I want to count the number of times there is a certain date (entered in cell C1 in my sheet) followed by the standard text "EAS - PROCESSED ORDER".

I tried the following to no avail: =COUNTIFS('Paste HD Report'!$AT:$AT,"*&C1&*&*EAS - PROCESSED ORDER*")

Does anyone have an idea to make this work?

Excel Facts

Quick Sum
Select a range of cells. The total appears in bottom right of Excel screen. Right-click total to add Max, Min, Count, Average.
If it's a date followed by the set string of text then you may want to use the TEXT function

=COUNTIF('Paste HD Report'!$AT:$AT, TEXT(C1, "mm/dd/yyyy")&"*EAS - PROCESSED ORDER*")

Upvote 0
Thanks so much for the reply, mrhstn. Unfortunately I'm having some difficulty getting that to work. To verify I opened a new workbook, entered today's date in cell C1 and typed "08/15/2017 EAS - PROCESSED ORDER" in cell C2 then tried the formula below (=COUNTIF(C2, TEXT(C1, "mm/dd/yyyy")&"*EAS - PROCESSED ORDER*"). That count returned a 0 so I'm back to the drawing board. Is there anything else that could possibly work?

Upvote 0
It works for me..

Did today's date get entered as a real date in C1 ?

What does this return
=ISNUMBER(C1)

Upvote 0
Oops, had a typo in the formula and now it works for me in the example application. However, I ultimately want it to count if the date + text is present in field that has other text before and after it.

For example if in C2 above I typed: "blah blah blah 08/15/2017 EAS - PROCESSED ORDER blah blah blah" and wanted to use our formula (=COUNTIF(C2, TEXT(C1, "mm/dd/yyyy")&"*EAS - PROCESSED ORDER*")) it returns 0 because presumably the wild card only references the processed order text? How can I get it to count if this is in the middle of other text?

Upvote 0
In that case, you also need an * before the date in countif

=COUNTIF(C2, "*"&TEXT(C1, "mm/dd/yyyy")&"*EAS - PROCESSED ORDER*")

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peter Juhnke

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back