Counting late payment dates

Stan Dad

Hi all.

I normally get paid on the 15th of every month, though sometimes this could be later. If I enter the actual payment dates in A1:A12, which formula can I use to count the number of times they were made late?

Excel Facts

Links? Where??
If Excel says you have links but you can't find them, go to Formulas, Name Manager. Look for old links to dead workbooks & delete.
=DATEDIF(A1, B1, "d") will give the difference in days between A1 and B1

To add a month to a date you can use =EDATE(A1,1) So stick first month in A1 and =EDATE(A1,1) in A2 and drag the formula down to A12. Then stick =IF(B1<>"",DATEDIF(A1, B1, "d"),"") in cell C1 and drag it down to C12, use Column B to enter actual date received

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hello,

You can test following :

=SUMPRODUCT(--(DAY(A1:A12)>15))

HTH

Upvote 0
Thanks Mr Teeny; however I only have 1 cell to place the formula and James solution does just that.

=DATEDIF(A1, B1, "d") will give the difference in days between A1 and B1

To add a month to a date you can use =EDATE(A1,1) So stick first month in A1 and =EDATE(A1,1) in A2 and drag the formula down to A12. Then stick =IF(B1<>"",DATEDIF(A1, B1, "d"),"") in cell C1 and drag it down to C12, use Column B to enter actual date received

Upvote 0
No problem I'd actually misread what you were asking for :( good to see James' solution works for you

Upvote 0
Hi all. I’m back for a second bite at this cherry.

James’ formula works only to the end of the month - if the payment is made early in the following month, it isn’t recognised as being late.

Also, to declutter my spreadsheet, I’ve used the formula, IF(A12>TODAY(),””,A12), to blank out future dates; however SUMPRODUCT interprets these cells as data, not numbers and returns a #VALUE! error.

A solution to either would be much appreciated.

Upvote 0
Hello,

In your 12 cells span ... how many different months can you have ?

To make your query work, is there a cell where you are inpuing the month for which you need the calculation to be made ...?

Upvote 0
Cheers James. Cells A1: A12 contain the paydates for the 12 months - A1, 15/01; A2, 15/02; etc. If a payment is made on a different date, I simply overtype the contents with the actual paydate (e.g. 31/10 in cell A10). So in theory, any of the 12 cells could contain any date, if the payment is thaaaaaat late.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cap N

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back