create a custom date range based on user efficiency

asmith601

Office Version
  1. 2019
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi guys. I am in search of some ideas. My spreadsheet works fine as it is, so i am in continuous improvement mode with it.

I am a teacher who gives students date ranges to finish projects. An example would be assignment 1 started on 2-14-2018 and not due until 3-10-2018; the next project starting on 3-11-2018 and not due until 4-20-2018.

If a student starts assignment 1 on 2-14-2018 but finishes on 2-23-2018; the student completed the assignment in half the time allotted, how can that percentage be towards future assignments? auto-calculate a more individualized assignment schedule based on how fast they complete assignments.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Excel Facts

How to change case of text in Excel?
Use =UPPER() for upper case, =LOWER() for lower case, and =PROPER() for proper case. PROPER won't capitalize second c in Mccartney
Sorry, I had to. I hope you're not a math teacher because I'm about to do your math for you and I'm not going to show my work...

The only thing you need to know is "Dates in Excel are numbers"

A. Due date
B. Assigned
C. Completed
D. Number of days given = A - B
E. Number of days it actually took = A - C
F. Percentage of days used = D / E

Number of days to complete:Number of days it took:Percentage:
Due Date:3/10/201824150.625
Assigned2/14/2018
Completed2/23/2018

<tbody>
</tbody>

Upvote 0
Funny. Actually here is the solution i have come up with:

=IF(J11="","",IF(K3="",NOW(),K3))

Automatically puts in the date when the assignment is turned in, so i can make the calculations to get what i am looking for already. I am simply looking for opinions/suggestions/alternatives.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Alternatives to what? Now that you have your percentage of time it took what are you going to do with it? Is your goal to give students a variable time limit based on past performance? (I think that is a bad idea)

Upvote 0
The original dates are the same for all students. No way around that.

The students will never see this new data. It is to help me better understand what concepts are easy or hard for each student; also helps me to know more if the student slacks off. I have never had a boss that allowed me to slack off because I finished a task early.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Protip: If you get paid per job, you get paid the same amount no matter how long that job takes. Not everyone has or needs a boss. In my industry we are always trying to become more efficient because we do get paid the same per part, no matter how long it takes. We don't use words like "lazy" or "slack off" we use words like "efficiency" and "process improvement". You should not seek to punish the most efficient students, they will just work slower like a union worker. "Don't rush me, I get paid by the hour".

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
surendra75

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back