Create an Update button and/or Delete button in Excel VBA form

skitzz

Hello, this is my first post. hopefully i can finally get some hkpe. Ive searched high and low for an answer via google, forums, youtube, you name it ive tried it. Anyhow let me give some background first. I have no previous VBA experience and all that I have learned has been int he past week or so. I put togetehr a pretty decent looking form consodering ,y lack of expereince. I just cant seem to get the update button to work. At a minimum id evebn settle for just a delete button. Just so that if a PM wants to edit a record they can edit it and create a new one based on those chnages and then just go back and delete the original one.

I am creating a project intake form so that PMs can enter all of their projects and it gets saved into a table:
The first sheet contains the form,
the second is the formatted report output,
the third contains the <code style="margin: 0px; padding: 1px 5px; border: 0px; font-size: 13px; font-family: Consolas, Menlo, Monaco, 'Lucida Console', 'Liberation Mono', 'DejaVu Sans Mono', 'Bitstream Vera Sans Mono', 'Courier New', monospace, sans-serif; white-space: pre-wrap; background-color: rgb(238, 238, 238);">projectdata</code> table where all the records are stored,
the fourth contains lookup lists for the dropdowns,
the last contains various formulas used to navigate the form.

I have successfully added the following navigation buttons: <code style="margin: 0px; padding: 1px 5px; border: 0px; font-size: 13px; font-family: Consolas, Menlo, Monaco, 'Lucida Console', 'Liberation Mono', 'DejaVu Sans Mono', 'Bitstream Vera Sans Mono', 'Courier New', monospace, sans-serif; white-space: pre-wrap; background-color: rgb(238, 238, 238);">add project</code>, <code style="margin: 0px; padding: 1px 5px; border: 0px; font-size: 13px; font-family: Consolas, Menlo, Monaco, 'Lucida Console', 'Liberation Mono', 'DejaVu Sans Mono', 'Bitstream Vera Sans Mono', 'Courier New', monospace, sans-serif; white-space: pre-wrap; background-color: rgb(238, 238, 238);">previous record</code>, <code style="margin: 0px; padding: 1px 5px; border: 0px; font-size: 13px; font-family: Consolas, Menlo, Monaco, 'Lucida Console', 'Liberation Mono', 'DejaVu Sans Mono', 'Bitstream Vera Sans Mono', 'Courier New', monospace, sans-serif; white-space: pre-wrap; background-color: rgb(238, 238, 238);">next record</code>, <code style="margin: 0px; padding: 1px 5px; border: 0px; font-size: 13px; font-family: Consolas, Menlo, Monaco, 'Lucida Console', 'Liberation Mono', 'DejaVu Sans Mono', 'Bitstream Vera Sans Mono', 'Courier New', monospace, sans-serif; white-space: pre-wrap; background-color: rgb(238, 238, 238);">clear form</code> and <code style="margin: 0px; padding: 1px 5px; border: 0px; font-size: 13px; font-family: Consolas, Menlo, Monaco, 'Lucida Console', 'Liberation Mono', 'DejaVu Sans Mono', 'Bitstream Vera Sans Mono', 'Courier New', monospace, sans-serif; white-space: pre-wrap; background-color: rgb(238, 238, 238);">close form</code>.

I added the <code style="margin: 0px; padding: 1px 5px; border: 0px; font-size: 13px; font-family: Consolas, Menlo, Monaco, 'Lucida Console', 'Liberation Mono', 'DejaVu Sans Mono', 'Bitstream Vera Sans Mono', 'Courier New', monospace, sans-serif; white-space: pre-wrap; background-color: rgb(238, 238, 238);">update record</code> button but I can't get the following code to work. What i mean by work is i want to be able to use the navigation buttons to select a record (aka a project) then modify one or more of the fields in the record. I have modified it for the fields that I am using but keep getting an error message and the code gets highlighted.
another note: I can go in and change the record but there is no command button to get those changes to take place in that exact record i want. If i click the <code style="margin: 0px; padding: 1px 5px; border: 0px; font-size: 13px; font-family: Consolas, Menlo, Monaco, 'Lucida Console', 'Liberation Mono', 'DejaVu Sans Mono', 'Bitstream Vera Sans Mono', 'Courier New', monospace, sans-serif; white-space: pre-wrap; background-color: rgb(238, 238, 238);">add project</code> button it will create an entirely new record from the record I am currently on. Just can't figure out how to edit an existing record without having to create a new one. Hope this makes sense.
<code style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; font-family: Consolas, Menlo, Monaco, 'Lucida Console', 'Liberation Mono', 'DejaVu Sans Mono', 'Bitstream Vera Sans Mono', 'Courier New', monospace, sans-serif; white-space: inherit;">
Dim
fname AsString, lname AsString
pname
= Control1.Text
Cells
(Currentrow,1).Value = pname
pdesc
= Control2.Text
Cells
(Currentrow,2).Value = lname

</code>The error message I receive is:
Run Time Error '1004' Application-defined or object-defined error

The following piece of code is highlighted yellow, indicating it is incorrect:

<code style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; font-family: Consolas, Menlo, Monaco, 'Lucida Console', 'Liberation Mono', 'DejaVu Sans Mono', 'Bitstream Vera Sans Mono', 'Courier New', monospace, sans-serif; white-space: inherit;">Cells(Currentrow,1).Value = pname

</code>I have also added the following line at the top to declare the <code style="margin: 0px; padding: 1px 5px; border: 0px; font-size: 13px; font-family: Consolas, Menlo, Monaco, 'Lucida Console', 'Liberation Mono', 'DejaVu Sans Mono', 'Bitstream Vera Sans Mono', 'Courier New', monospace, sans-serif; white-space: pre-wrap; background-color: rgb(238, 238, 238);">currentrow</code>:
<code style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; font-family: Consolas, Menlo, Monaco, 'Lucida Console', 'Liberation Mono', 'DejaVu Sans Mono', 'Bitstream Vera Sans Mono', 'Courier New', monospace, sans-serif; white-space: inherit;">Dim Currentrow AsLong

</code>Not sure if this helps, but below is the code I used for the other navigation buttons:
<code style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; font-family: Consolas, Menlo, Monaco, 'Lucida Console', 'Liberation Mono', 'DejaVu Sans Mono', 'Bitstream Vera Sans Mono', 'Courier New', monospace, sans-serif; white-space: inherit;">PrivateSub CmdNext_Click()

Dim n AsInteger

If Sheets("MiscFormulas").Range("B4")< Sheets("MiscFormulas").Range("B5")Then
n
= Sheets("MiscFormulas").Range("B4")+1
Sheets
("MiscFormulas").Range("B4")= n
Call update
Else
MsgBox
("You are at the last record!")
EndIf

EndSub

PrivateSub cmdPrevious_Click()
Dim n AsInteger

If Sheets("MiscFormulas").Range("B4")>1Then
n
= Sheets("MiscFormulas").Range("B4")-1
Sheets
("MiscFormulas").Range("B4")= n
Call update
Else
MsgBox
("You are at the first record!")
EndIf

EndSub

</code>I didn't go ahead and code all the fields for the update button because there are 61 different fields in this form. I only tried the first two to see if it worked before I went in and coded the other 59.
I'm also not sure why the fields had to be defined in the code like why I had manually to say <code style="font-family: Consolas, Menlo, Monaco, 'Lucida Console', 'Liberation Mono', 'DejaVu Sans Mono', 'Bitstream Vera Sans Mono', 'Courier New', monospace, sans-serif; margin: 0px; padding: 1px 5px; border: 0px; border-image-source: initial; border-image-slice: initial; border-image-width: initial; border-image-outset: initial; border-image-repeat: initial; font-size: 13px; white-space: pre-wrap; background-color: rgb(238, 238, 238);">pname = control1.text</code> instead of just referring to the field as "control1.text". It creates more work to add that extra line for all 61 fields.

BTW, I got this code from another site but couldn't get it to work. I wish I could upload the excel file so you can see but alas hopefully i dont need to. Thanks in advance for all your help. Hope I was thorough enough.

Excel Facts

Best way to learn Power Query?
Read M is for (Data) Monkey book by Ken Puls and Miguel Escobar. It is the complete guide to Power Query.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wingedshoes

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back