creating a hyperlink inside a cell

marko300

I'm having trouble posting hyperlink inside an individual cell. I need to highlight some of the text within a cell and create a hyperlink to another folder. However, when i try to insert a hyperlink, the entire cell content is selected and becomes the link (not just the few lines of text i would like).

does anyone have a solution?

many thanks

Excel Facts

Bring active cell back into view
Start at A1 and select to A9999 while writing a formula, you can't see A1 anymore. Press Ctrl+Backspace to bring active cell into view.
I'm having trouble posting hyperlink inside an individual cell. I need to highlight some of the text within a cell and create a hyperlink to another folder. However, when i try to insert a hyperlink, the entire cell content is selected and becomes the link (not just the few lines of text i would like).

does anyone have a solution?

many thanks
Is the problem just that the extra text is blue and underlined?

If so, after you have everything in the cell and hyperlinked to where you want;
1. Select the cell (click and hold a second or two)
2. In the formula bar select the first text that you don't want blue/underlined.
3. Format|Cells...|Font|select colour and underline options|OK
4. Repeat if there is more text after the hyperlink text.

The whole cell/text would still act as a hyperlink, we have just changed the appearance. Sorry if that is not what you were wanting.

Upvote 0
Hi Peter,

thanks for your help - it' certainly in the right direction. I'm not sure if it's possible to separate the hyperlink from the rest of the cell contents completely but i'll keep trying.

Many thanks for your advice.
Mark

Upvote 0
Hi Peter,

thanks for your help - it' certainly in the right direction. I'm not sure if it's possible to separate the hyperlink from the rest of the cell contents completely but i'll keep trying.

Many thanks for your advice.
Mark
I could be wrong but I don't you can separate it. It is the whole cell that is hyperlinked to the destination, not just the text. eg if you make the cell much wider than all the text and hover over (or click) a blank part of the cell well away from any text, you will see that it still hyperlinks.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
teemeren

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back