Creating an auto clean-up macro for a client's data file

Consolidated

Hello everyone,
I've been lurking here a while, and have gained lots of insight from other posts, for which I am grateful. It's time I started my own thread though.

Background:
We get annual data files from a client (For those interested, it's an export of a company's nominal ledger on Excel). the data from these files has to be mapped, and re-categorised into our own categorisation.

Problem:
The excel file that the client's accounting system spits out has it's own mapping in column A, where each number corresponds to a particular account. Problems facing me are:
  • The system has sub-accounts, but these all end up in column A as well.
  • Every year, new accounts are added, and old ones deleted.
  • Some old accounts are NOT deleted, and we get a sheet 20km long with dormant accounts.

I'll summarise the above in this excerpt:
Account CodeAccount NameAmount
100Mr. Pink25
200Mr. Brown
300Mr. Orange15
1000Salaries
1100Guns100
100Mr. Pink1
12000Tips

<tbody>
</tbody>

As you can see above,
  1. There is an account (1000) called Salaries, and the exported file places the sub-accounts above the main account, but in the same column.
  2. The main account code has at least one more digit than a sub-account code, but that's the only constant rule. I.e., Mr. Pink can have a code 1000-100, but later on we may find an account called "Tips" which has a main code of 12000, so Mr. Pink's tips would be coded under 12000-100.
  3. The main account row has no total, UNLESS there are no sub-accounts attached to that account, like the account (1100) Guns.

Goal:
I'm trying to automate this mapping process, because otherwise this is a massive time-sink. I guess ideally I'd like to create a macro where once we open up the data file from the client, it would take care of creating a proper map, because the output will then be applied to an in-house account map with a simple VLOOKUP.
With that said, what I hope is possible:

A macro that can generate and sort all those accounts and sub-accounts into all unique codes that are consistent every year, so 'salaries' will always be 1000-X, regardless of how many people they hire/fire. Since accounts are being added/removed I figured INDEX would not work.

If anyone could help/give me ideas on how I should go about doing so, I would be very grateful.

Excel Facts

Excel motto
Not everything I do at work revolves around Excel. Only the fun parts.
Re: Bit of an Excel puzzle - Creating an auto clean-up macro for a client's data file

Hello,

unfortunately i don't know vba, so i can't give any tips how to go about this with a macro.

I did however come up with a formula that might do the trick: (worked for your sample-dataset at least)
Code:
=IF(LEN(A2)<=3,INDEX([B]$A2:$A$8[/B],MATCH(TRUE,LEN([B]$A2:$A$8[/B])>3,0))&"-"&A2,A2&"-Total")

If you paste this formula in a new column and adapt the ranges i marked above it should give you unique codes. (it's an array formula - so enter it via ctrl-shift-enter and then drag it down)

I'm sure there are more efficient ways to do this but here's how it works: for cells that are less than 4 digits it will look for the next 4+digit-number as the "parent".

Hope this is headed in the direction you are looking for.

Upvote 0
Re: Bit of an Excel puzzle - Creating an auto clean-up macro for a client's data file

Hey NotC90, thanks for the response!

Yes this is close to what I was looking for. Just one more thing I was hoping you could help me out with before I try getting to my final destination; I was hoping to combine the sub-totalling of the amounts as part of the formula, so I'm guessing something of a SUBTOTALIF formula that calculates a subtotal for the parent account and all its subs in column C.

Upvote 0

Hello,

this should work if you put it in column C (with column B being the new unique-code-formula)
Code:
=IF(AND(RIGHT(B2,5)="Total",E2="");SUMIFS([B]$E$2:$E$8[/B],[B]$B$2:$B$8[/B],A2&"-*"),E2)

It just takes the values from the existing Amount column and for Totals without an Amount-value from the source it calculates it.

Hope that helps.

BR

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aircuart

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back