Creating MS Project Predecessors in MS Excel

blueelephant

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello, I'm not sure if this is possible in MS Excel, but are we able to create MS Project 'Predecessor' function in MS Excel? I have seen a project plan in excel with a 'Predecessor' functionality but could not figure out how that was done. When selecting the cell to view if there is a formula, it only shows the static value. Is this possible in Excel?

Thanks

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    50.3 KB · Views: 63

Excel Facts

Get help while writing formula
Click the italics "fx" icon to the left of the formula bar to open the Functions Arguments dialog. Help is displayed for each argument.
If you are simply asking if a cell value can change based on other criteria WITHOUT a formula, the answer is no. In this case, the predecessor is the task that comes before the current one: does this change often enough to have to have a formula? I could see where your task hierarchy might change when you insert a new task ahead of the current one.

Upvote 0
If you are simply asking if a cell value can change based on other criteria WITHOUT a formula, the answer is no. In this case, the predecessor is the task that comes before the current one: does this change often enough to have to have a formula? I could see where your task hierarchy might change when you insert a new task ahead of the current one.
Thanks Jeff. I was more so asking if there is a known formula that can be used that would replicate the same function as 'Predecessor' in MS Project. When I downloaded the Excel spreadsheet off Outlook, whatever 'acting' formula in the Predecessor column is removed and saved as static value. The Predecessor function saves me a lot of time as most of my activities in plan are linked, so changing a task early in the project could quickly recalculate the end date of my activities.

I could simply use MS Project but, I rather have all my Project spreadsheets in one file if possible.

Thanks for the help!

Upvote 0
I'm not sure what the source of the workbook is. You say somebody sent you a workbook? Were they copying the data out of MS project?

Upvote 0
So the little snippet you provided doesn't show the full dataset. Am I to presume the the predecessor column is the count of tasks that must be completed prior to the current task?

What field ties the current task to the predecessors?

Upvote 0
So the little snippet you provided doesn't show the full dataset. Am I to presume the the predecessor column is the count of tasks that must be completed prior to the current task?

What field ties the current task to the predecessors?
I'm assuming the Predecessor column reference column 'A'. In this example here, ID 3 to 9 start date is dependent on ID 2 end date

This is automated in MS Project but I am very curious to how this workbook creator was able to replicate MS Project built in function in MS Excel. Clicking on individual cells in any columns only shows the value, no formulas or reference to any other columns or cells so I am unable to reverse engineer the workbook

Maybe this is not possible in MS Excel and the creator is simply copying over MS Project to MS Excel when sending their project updates.

Attachments

• Capture1.JPG
    Capture1.JPG
    66.9 KB · Views: 15
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr Hughes

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back